1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Looking to Buy Light

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by clown man, Jan 15, 2019.

1. clown man Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa city,iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    Looking for a light for a 60 gallon cube 24x24 what's out there no black boxes please

2. Pufferman777

Pufferman777 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Just use a black box

3. Any tuna blue Kessil spotlight will make your tank radiate shimmer like radiant glory. Nothing comes close to that. If you want the best growth for a 24" tank... T5 has great dispersion and even coral growth without dark shadows all over the corals. If you want the best all-in-one light for growth in an LED, AI and Radions beat out my Kessils, especially for reds... but they don't shimmer like the Kessils. Since you're not doing acros, you can get by with even the smallest tuna blue Kessil.

4. clown man Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa city,iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    Tank will be sps dominant thing of doing a t5 led hybrid

Sent from my SM-N960U via App

5. Sounds like the ultimate. Cale H in Boone did that and he raves about how much he likes his AI/T5 combo setup and told me he wants to do the rest of his tanks the same.

In case you want to go for max shimmer... To determine my lights' height for the best shimmer, I held one of the spotlights by hand over the tank to ensure that the height was correct for light dispersion to hit the edges of the tank about 1/2" below the surface of the water and not all over the walls. I had to turn down the lights after that. Then after they were all installed I messed with return jets and powerheads at night to get the largest and slowest shimmer waves that I could. The dimensions of your tank will limit the size of your water waves... so your 24" x 24" cube can do fine but a tiny pico reef probably not going to pull it off as well.