1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

light question/ tank update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i moved stuff over from the 55 to a 40 breeder. i love the 40, its drilled... its got awesome dimensions... super.
    anyways, so on the 55 i was using PC lighting, i think 2 14K and 2 actinic (260 watt total)
    now i am using 1 250w (i think its 14 or 20k, i cant tell) double ended halide and i think 1 36 watt PC (actinic..it helps)
    so, what i want to know is - are my corals getting more light now or were they getting more light before? i have not seen some of the corals look so good until under the halide, some of them love the halide. others havent opened yet. the mixed reaction confuses me, i thought they would all like it or all dislike it.
    anyways, let me know what you think.
    thanks!
    -ben

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    It might be a little bit of a shock to some of them. Try moving them towards the bottom of the tank for now. or move the light up. Its like you coming out of the movie theater into a bright summer day. Long term they will like the halide better. Just change your bulbs every 9 months.

3. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I would reduce your lighting schedule for a few weeks, starting at a few hours a day and gradually increasing, if you don't theres a good chance you'll over light your corals, stress them out and kill them. The amount of watts isn't always a good way to judge the light your tank is getting, halides produce light with a far greater par than that of a pc. So wattage wise you have less of a number but penetration wise your getting far more light to your corals.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thank you guys, ill reduce the hours on the lighting a few hours and increase it back to what i want it over a few weeks or something.

i figured halides would be better for them but some of them are acting funny.

thanks again guys!