1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

LFS Cool Stuff Update Thread

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by Travis, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]lol I was afraid to cut it up any smaller with a 4" peanut grinder.  I'm glad you like it.  Thanks for the cap and the milli.  Since no one has asked yet can I be put on a list for some Tubbs?  Try to post a picture of them soon.  I think it is awesome seeing before and after pictures and comparing a corals growth.

2. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You will be the first to know when they grow some more.  The little guys opened up in my tank within an hour of being put in the tank.  I put them about 1/3 up since I've heard they don't like a great amount of light, but I can adjust them if I think I need to. 
    What the heck is a peanut grinder??  It couldn't have anything to do with peanuts to cut through that thick skeleton.  I am just awed by the iridescent pink of that chalice.  It is the same color as my Pink Encrusting Montipora (Einstein has one in his tank too.)  Very sweet.

3. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ahh, here is the delicate fragging tool.
    [​IMG]

4. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yikes!  That is one heck of a coral cutter.
    Back to the topic of this thread.  Ben, I know you bought a Monti frag at AE Sunday.  I know it was sad and browned out and wondered if you had taken a picture so you could compare it down the road?  Seems like you've had good luck rescueing some corals already.

5. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  6. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok here is a pic. I just moved it so a scarlet crap is cleaning it off.   When I got it the polyps where tan I can already see a little color coming back into them.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cool, I hope it color up nicely for you. 

8. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, and thanks again Al

9. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's going to be a sweet piece Ben.  It takes a certain eye to see potential in a coral like that.

10. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    BTW, AE just put in new lights.  A lot of things noticeably colored up.  One of their big Symphyllia sp. is very nice and I never noticed it before.  I picked up a little goby to copy Robyn.  The little fish better clean my sand.  I also saw a certain someone getting a few nice fish.  I was going to ask when a new shipment was coming in but my daughter got sick. [​IMG] The truck pulled in while I was leaving.[​IMG]

11. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yea, new lights!   I bet it will make a huge difference if you're seeing it already.  Luckily I am not tempted by big corals because I simply don't have the space. 
    A good goby is like a built-in vacumm cleaner..........what's not to like??  Good luck with him.  
    I hope your daughter feels better  

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cool, new lights - they just replaced their old ones about a year ago.   Good luck with the goby, I'm going to get one when my 58's up and running.  I ordered the lights today and a copper test just in case, I don't ever remember dosing anything, but better to be on the safe side.

13. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Atram on 11/20/2007 5:51 PM
    Cool, new lights - they just replaced their old ones about a year ago.   Good luck with the goby, I'm going to get one when my 58's up and running.  I ordered the lights today and a copper test just in case, I don't ever remember dosing anything, but better to be on the safe side.
    The new lights were short lived, he didnt like the 14k look. He is putting in new 10k bulbs though.

14. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did you see the tank with those 14's?   I know nothing about halides but I just wondered why he didn't like the 14k's.
    I think that lobo that he had in the front tank has great potential and somebody should go grab it up

15. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By RobynT on 11/20/2007 6:07 PM
    Did you see the tank with those 14's?   I know nothing about halides but I just wondered why he didn't like the 14k's.
    I think that lobo that he had in the front tank has great potential and somebody should go grab it up
    Can't speak for him, but I think he likes the whiter bulbs. Just a matter of personal preference more then anything. I did see it with the 14k's, I like it and think they would get whiter as they burnt in. Plus they grow on you as you spend more time with them. I just moved to 10k Ushio bulbs on my tank. I am giving them a months to see how they grow on me. Right now I can say the corals seem happy and it is a lot brighter.

16. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did you stay long enough to see what came in? To bad he didn't like them, I did. Maybe the 10k will look good too. I actually think it is good of stores to go with a whiter look. Then people not running blue don't get pissed when they get home and their pretty coral looks plain. Blue does make most things really stand out though.

17. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By vvolfe1 on 11/20/2007 6:24 PM
    Did you stay long enough to see what came in? To bad he didn't like them, I did. Maybe the 10k will look good too. I actually think it is good of stores to go with a whiter look. Then people not running blue don't get pissed when they get home and their pretty coral looks plain. Blue does make most things really stand out though.
    They were just starting to float stuff when I left. He did not get much saltwater fish in, he said that he had a fair inventory for the next week.
    I agree on the lights. I have seen a couple stores run all VHO actinic over their tanks, when you get home you are left wondering if they bagged the right coral. I do wish his lights had VHO actinic supplements though, the colors would be better and the tank would still look white.

18. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anywhere locally sell PE Mysis? I heard they are the best and have less PO4 than the others.

19. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Atram on 11/18/2007 8:55 AM
    I've been seeing Rob's Reef popping up on some sites, sounds like they have nice stuff and their in DeKalb.
    Coolest thing with Rod's reef is his tanks.  All of his glass tanks are surge tanks very cool, I believe.  He has his momma and poppa clown's and their babies going in tanks along with a couple giant carpet anemones.  He has a varied selection of coral based on when he gets it in.  And of course his food is great.

20. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AE carried PE mysis. At least that was where I got it when I was breeding clowns.