1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

LFS Cool Stuff Update Thread

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by Travis, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have tried to keep posting when I noticed cool or rare items at the LFS's.  Maybe since we now have our own forum we could use this thread to keep a current list.  You could also post in here if there is something you want others to keep their eyes open for.  Just an idea.

2. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I heard from my wife Teske's in Moline got a bunch of cool fish in this week and a carpet anemone. I'll be there at 8 am to see.

3. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They do get some nice fish and have pretty fair prices. Make sure to QT them though as they have a little troublewith cross contamination in their combined system.

4. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    true. I just got back from Teske's their fish all look ich infested too. They do have a nice carpet anemone of the tan variety but it does look healthy. I might go to Pet Depot today by Lowes they get some different clowns in there than the normal. Pet Depot also gets in some rare stuff now and then they have no clue what it is.

5. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rare stuff as in fish or corals?
    I am looking for some real Tubbs blue zoa's if anyone has them.

6. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rare stuff usually as in fish. They did have a red carpet in there about a month ago. Why I say they do not know what they have is that they had it for 39 or 79 versus the 400 I see most places. They really don't have the set up for corals.
    I'll keep my eyes open for the Tubbs. I see them online but they are pricey.

7. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've seen them online and it's not always the price of the coral that's prohibiting but the cost of shipping (usually in the $50 range for me.)  Plus, living out in the sticks, delivery is OFTEN delayed and it has caused terrible problems and dead corals for me.  I had an overnight from PA last month that shipped on Monday and I got it on Friday.  Long story but I have rarely gotten overnight without problems.  Zoa's can tolerate a few days in a box but most people don't want to ship valuable livestock that way either.  Add to that the fact that lots of people are selling things as one thing that are not that exact thing.
    On the bright side I've had some interesting success stories too.  I had a shipment from CA of corals and the Lobo punctured the bag it was in and barely had a teaspoon of water in it's bag.  Mostly all teeth and some flesh.  Within a day it looked pretty darn good.  Within three days......perfect. 
    [​IMG]
    Not a great pic but you can see the corner of it in the left bottom

8. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is Zeppo posing for you btw.  Quite a character!

9. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is a very nice madarin shot Robyn. As for your shipping problem you may want to start having them hold your orders at your local FedEx office. That way it never gets stuck on the truck.

10. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good suggestion but I am really going to try and avoid buying online from here on out.  Number one, I have no room for more and number two, I think that there is plenty of really nice stuff available from other members and a few stores.  There is a fantastic store in Bloomington/Normal where I've found most of my acans.  I just bought some really outstanding large frags  (and he was having a sale!)   I highly recommend Johnnies Reefing Experience if you ever are that way.

11. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you don't mind me asking... What are his typical prices? Are they more inline with online or the Quad cities local fish store?

12. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got an aussis acan with 20+ polyps for $115 I think it was.  Most of the large frags I bought last week were at least 2x3" frags (Orange Crush acan was one of them) and under $50.  He also has a very nice selection of fish and can pretty much get you whatever it is you want.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I saw some nice pink zoo's at Aquatic Environments this past weekend, they had some nice green ones as well. The standard price of $49.00, not bad considering their must have been 30-40 polyps as well as no shipping. I saw they had some egg crate with several SPS frags, looks like the finally caught on to the frag idea, $16.00 a piece. I also saw that the had a yellow watchman goby paired with a shrimp. To bad I'm at the end of my pay period, getting paid once a month blows.

14. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually if you think about it, this is very similar to Jason's LFS sponsorship idea. The only difference would be that the LFS could set sale prices and post pictures of items.

15. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Robyn, DR. Mac has Tubbs for sale. Only $80 for 4 polyps. OUCH!!!!!

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been seeing Rob's Reef popping up on some sites, sounds like they have nice stuff and their in DeKalb.

17. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Atram on 11/18/2007 8:55 AM
    I've been seeing Rob's Reef popping up on some sites, sounds like they have nice stuff and their in DeKalb.
    That would be Rod correct?

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My bad, yep that rod's reef.

19. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you ever decide to go there make sure you call first. Sometimes he has alot more than other times. It's a very nice small shop. I love the surge system he has on his tanks.

20. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By vvolfe1 on 11/12/2007 8:25 PM
    Robyn, DR. Mac has Tubbs for sale. Only $80 for 4 polyps. OUCH!!!!! Well they couldn't be any prettier than the really nice, full rock of Tubbs that now lives in my tank.  There are lots of corals that I covet, but this one has been on my list longer than any.
    I just finished getting them and the super nice chalice that you gave to me.  Wow, that is really a nice coral (too big to call a frag in my book) and such nice pink color!  I love it Ben, thanks so much!