1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Let's talk floor cover

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DangerJ, Jun 14, 2018.

1. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    The house we just bought has beautiful original hardwood floors and I'd like to keep them in shape.

I'm thinking of some sort of ridged waterproof mat to place down prior to setting up the stand, in order to catch any splashes. Additionally the stand I would like to build will have a nice wide trim around the top of the base to help catch water as well.

Does anyone have input or best practices to help prevent salt damage to hardwood?

Figured this could be a good discussion around water spill management.

2. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    I would use the felt slider pads. The larger ones so there is a air gap so in case it does happen you could blow a fan under it to dry it versus not knowing how much seeped underneath and not being able to dry it out

Sent from my iPhone via App

3. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0

upload_2018-6-14_9-48-1.png

I have something comparable to this in front of my tank stand. It is mostly hidden from view by furniture. It's movable so if I need to get in the tank from the side a just slide it(them) around to the side of the tank. Catches any spills or splashes. Then I can wipe it up with a cloth when I'm done.

4. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    That's not a bad idea. Didn't think about using pads for risers.

5. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    I used those big thick ones that you use for moving furniture they are around 6”x 3” inches . I put one on each corner and a couple in the middle

Sent from my iPhone via App