1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

lets see those remote sumps....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snowman82, Jun 1, 2009.

1. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm just trying to get more ideas and info about setting up my sump in the basement want to see what others have done.  and was wondering if i am going to have to drill my sump to use my dolphin pump.

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah! Let's see 'em! I'm still in the design phase. Currently, mine consists of an undrilled 75 gallon tank, several pieces of plate glass that I'll be using for baffles, some tubes of silicone and various plumbing parts. I am planning on drilling my sump on each end. One end for the skimmer and the other I'm still waiting on my return pump to come in...should be in sometime this week.

--AJ

3. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Basement Sump
    http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1593343&highlight=remote+sump+pics
    [​IMG]
    More Rubbermaid sumps
    I like Rubbermaid sumps - used to run one
    http://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...t=basement sump pics&pagenumber=2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thats alot of pics eric thanks :) looks like alot of them just have one general chamber, nothing split up for a bubble trap or return side or refugium...or is all that in seperate tanks elsewhere possibly?

5. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Depends on the design and I'll find some pics of setups that have multiple tanks for the remote filtration.
    With the sheer volume of water in a Rubbermaid and the inherent depth, I don't see many people that have a need for a bubble trap.
    For instance, I'm running a similar setup as I had before and have an issue with bubbles now that I didn't then.
    My current sump is a combo sump/fuge and my drain has no option but to go directly throught the fuge and on to the return, with my skimmer sitting in the drain portion of the sump.  With 420gph going directly though the setup, I have to minimize any bubbles manually, i.e. baffles, foam, etc.
    With a 100g Rubbermaid stock tank, the outlet for the skimmer, reactors, etc. could be several feet from the return pump and typically at a different elevation (stock tanks are a couple feet deep - too deep to set a skimmer on the bottom) so bubbles naturally rise and as they are created above where the return pump sits there isn't a need for a bubble trap.
    I split my return running a portion through a fuge and into the sump, fuge gravity fed the sump.
    Make sense?
    -Eric

6. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here is mine.   It is plumed throw the wall, to the bedroom behind my tank.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    When I was in the planning stages for a 180g Oceanic RR that I owned, I was going to use a multiple stage filtration system, can't now but here's the jist:
    Drain from the tank was going to split two directions, larger volume was going into the Rubbermaid where I'd have 50-100 lbs of rock, heaters, skimmer and return pump.
    Smaller volume was going first to a 5g bucket/DSB, then to another 5g bucket w/bioballs, finally into a 30g fuge before being gravity fed into the sump for return.  I was planning on running about 1,200 gph return which would have been too much flow for the secondary filtration, hence the split.
    -Eric

8. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
  9. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    some stuff, that guy has alot going on in his basement haha. if i can get away with one general chamber i would be more than happy to. just make a DSB and live rock on the bottom of the rubbermaid then skimmer on one side, return from the other and some mangroves in the middle to make it look pretty haha. how much are those rubbermaid containers?

10. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought I remember reading that someone was selling one of them not that long ago...but I can't remember who. I think they are around $75 to $100 new. Check the older listings in the buy/sell forum.

--AJ

11. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It was Annamarie selling the stock tub.

12. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah and i think she got it sold too

13. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

I think I picked up my 100g for around $70 new.

They don't show up often used so I went with a new one from a supply store - actually Pauls Discount in IC.

-Eric

14. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    menards sells the stock tanks not sure how much but not too expensive I bought a 75gal and a 100 gal from them

matt

15. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    might just check my local farm supply

16. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

Many reefers prefer the Rubbermaid brand stock tank as it's thick, durable and comes with a bulkhead in the bottom...I've never noticed the Rubbermaid brand @ Menards in Iowa City.

Regarding the bulkhead, most people will either replace it or seal it (I siliconed mine) as they are prone to leak over time and it's certainly easier to do when it's empty [​IMG]
    -Eric

17. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Speaking of bulkheads, Theisens has a good selection of them, mainly geared toward farm type applications. They are really heavy duty and a little expensive, but not bad. I got a 2" bulkhead for $12. They did not seem to have much in the smaller sizes. Our Menards does not stock bulkheads.

--AJ

18. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    yes the bulkheads in the rubbermade tubs suck i had to replace mine if your in the desmoines area a good place to buy bulkheads and vertical tanks for water changes is sprayer specialties in grimes

19. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im gunna check out theiesens, that is just right down the road from work. i'm still trying to figure out what the return size is that i need to go with...