1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Lets help out petland @Jordan Creek

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xmasia, Feb 28, 2009.

1. xmasia

xmasia Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The store has started up a saltwater section with a 300g display i believe and a few small tanks.The manager of the saltwater section wants to expand into the vacant store next door.He has a book that he is having everyone sign so he can show the owner that there is enough interest.Lets show are support.

2. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Hmm...Isn't this the same Petland that was all over the news for puppy mills a while back?

3. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where is it exactly?

4. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    jordan creek mall area out in west desmoines. I'm not a fan of petland their prices are outrageous and i can't justify the cost of it all. maxijet 1200's were like 42 bucks. i think that is outrageous when Adams had them for 20 and they are the most expensive store. i would like to see more saltwater but i dont know if i would go there much....and ya dog prices are through the roof!

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its not reallyabout dog prices being through the roof, although it is outrageous.  Its a free country, businesses can charge whatever they want to charge and people can choose to pay it or not.  It's about the fact that they are selling dogs that are being bred in puppy mills and are, in some instances, horribly sick.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is there a section in the book for the people that in the "we would love to shop there and fully support you expanding the store, as soon as you stop selling dogs" camp?

7. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oh yeah i agree with you on the business part and all. And i do not agree with puppy mills either. just not a fan...not tearing them down, just personal opinion

8. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, don't support puppy millers. Screw petland.

9. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By h2so4hurts on 02/28/2009 09:06 PM
    Sorry, don't support puppy millers. Screw petland.
    To be fair, there is a IC Petland display tank thread on RC, and the employees "claim" that  the name is a franchise and every location is responsible for their own products.
    Although I too agree their prices are a little steep, I'm not sure that "every" Petland gets their puppies from the same source, therefore I don't ave any evidence that the Iowa City store gets their puppies from mills.
    It was well documented in the Des Moines area, around Christmas 2007, that the Jordan Creek store was guilty as charged, but I don't believe the entire Petland franchise is negligent.
    -Eric

10. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been keeping an eye on the petland press releases on their site about this issue. I have a friend that's big in the anti-puppy mill campaign so she keeps us all pretty up to date. Petland has a big list of suggested breeders to buy dogs from and also has a black list, it's just that they don't enforce the "black list" or add known puppy millers to it very regularly.

11. xmasia

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I started this thread in hopes of seeing a better marine selection in the des moines area.I came from omaha and from what i can see the stores here cant compare.If this guy wants to do this lets show him are support.Let him know what you all want to see IE:LIVESTOCK,PRICES,EQUIPMENT,get him invovled with the club.There is a petland in omaha they were the highest priced store there they have changed owners and from what ive heard they have come down on there marine prices.As for this petland yes they were charged found guilty BUT not for buying from puppymills werent they charged for haveing and selling unhealthy animals.I have been there and looks like they learned a very expensive lesson.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where do you think those unhealthy animals came from? The top breeders in the country?

I will show him my support as soon as they stop selling dogs.

13. dewdad

dewdad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    DSM clown, Do you shop at Iowa pet food & seascopes?

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By dewdad on 03/01/2009 10:38 AM
    DSM clown, Do you shop at Iowa pet food & seascopes?
    Can't say I buy a whole lot of things from them. Why?

15. xmasia

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By DSMClown on 03/01/2009 09:54 AM
    Where do you think those unhealthy animals came from? The top breeders in the country?
    my point is the have the right to refuse or except the animals and get them healthy before they sell.which they werent doing and now they are.I didnt want to go here but i guess i will.Have you ever been to a lfs and seen dead or dieing fish,coral i know i have.Where do you think the lfs get there live stock being fresh or marine.i dont want this topic to turn in to a big debate on puppy mills i just want a better saltwater store.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By xmasia on 03/01/2009 12:15 PM

Posted By DSMClown on 03/01/2009 09:54 AM
    my point is the have the right to refuse or except the animals and get them healthy before they sell.which they werent doing and now they are.I didnt want to go here but i guess i will.Have you ever been to a lfs and seen dead or dieing fish,coral i know i have.Where do you think the lfs get there live stock being fresh or marine.i dont want this topic to turn in to a big debate on puppy mills i just want a better saltwater store.
    Actually, the real point should be that they shouldn't be buying from puppy mills in the first place, regardless of whether the puppies appear to be healthy or not.
    Are you actually comparing dead or dying fish to the puppy mill issue?  That's like comparing apples to meatloaf (not even in the same food group). If you are in the business of selling fish, fish deaths are going to be unavoidable. If you are in the business of selling dogs, you have a choice of where you buy your puppies from. And as much as I love my fish, there is a slight difference between Dori and my golden retriever.

17. dewdad

dewdad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just curious. Back to the fish topic, I would just like to see more options in the area when it comes to marine fish. I think Petland has learned their lesson and I am thrilled that they are looking in to providing a larger seleciton of marine fish and supplies. I am getting tired of ordering everything through catalogues.

18. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I also wish there was more competition in the saltwater hobby in the DSM area... The only store with the best looking/best selection of product is the most expensive. It will be nice to have another option. I stopped by petland today and looks like they are still getting ready. Just a few fish/snails and not for sale, one big tank and 6-9 smaller display tanks should be interesting to see what comes of it.

19. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
  20. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i agree that new saltwater competition would be useful. i do like the petco out in jordan creek. they seem to have quite a few saltwater fish and some corals. The petco in windsor hights has a little coral tank that has some stuff in it. I think it would be nice to have a store like Hung has that is pure saltwater based. but not sure if the need would warrant something like that around here