1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Lets do some basic introductions for the QC area club members..

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by einsteins, Nov 30, 2007.

1. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the club Doug.
    Looks like the Aledo Monmouth area is starting to get a nice community.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello! My name is Lindsey, and I'm from moline. My husband and I have started up our first saltwater tank over the last couple of months. Been floating around from site to site and finally found a place with other people from around our area!

We have a 29 gallon BioCube HQI
    With 30 lbs fiji live rock
    20 lbs live sand,
    10 blue leg hermit crabs,
    2 turbo snails
    2 nassarius snails
    1 peppermint shrimp (hopefully not much longer)
    1 clownfish
    2 frogspawn frags
    And a cute button polyp

3. BigB

BigB Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Welcome... Im in Moline as well.. you found yourself in one of the best saltwater forums on the net... Enjoy

4. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS. Sounds like you are off to a great start. Be sure to post plenty of pics, we love pictures. Looking forward to getting to know you and we are all here to help.

5. yankieman Well-Known ReefKeeper

Monmouth, IL
    Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Hi im from Monmouth been floating around this site for some time now just never commented before, but id like to get more active ,,

6. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey welcome. I think there are a few other people in your direct area and I know Alex is from Aledo.

I am Mike and look forward to meeting you. Be sure to look for upcoming gatherings.

Can you tell us about your setup, how long you been in the hobby and stuff?

7. e lowther

e lowther Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Evan Lowther "e lowther", I am from Bettendorf, Iowa. 21 years old and a student at Iowa State University for a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Been in the salt water hobby for 6 years now. I have had a reef tank for about the last 4 years now. My tank is a 75 gallon mixed reef tank that is sumped to a 20 gallon frag tank and a 20 gallon refugium.

8. yankieman Well-Known ReefKeeper

Monmouth, IL
    Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I have a 209 gal in wall tank with 55 gal sump below in the garage with a 20 gal fuge and ATS ,, I been in the salt water hobby for about 8 years and the fresh water hobby for close to 45 years or most of my life lol,,

9. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh wow.Sounds like we need to have a meeting at your place

10. Killernights

Killernights Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Yankieman, i agree with mike on wanting to have a meeting at your place some time. I just posted our next meeting and hope you can go to it. I am interested in knowing more about your ATS.

11. Merle

Merle

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all,

My name is Merle and I decided after much thought to switch to Saltwater after years of FS tanks,

Have a 28G jbj cube that in time will be a Reef tank.

Live in Davenport and look forward to meeting the rest of the gang cuz I honestly feel I may be in over my head with all this..lol

12. softieatheart

softieatheart Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Welcome, Merle!

So your tank isn't set up yet?

13. Merle

Merle

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yep last weekend I got it wet.

JBJ 28G HQI (Refit lid with LED's)

Stock return pumps

Biocube Skimmer

35LB Live Rock

20Lb Live sand

Now jsut waiting for it to cycle so as I said Someday it will be a reef tank lol.

14. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Merle.

keep a close eye on the goings on in the QC region as I have some exciting news to share directly after spring fest.

Also be sure to get your feet wet in the conversations in all the forums here on Girs and introduce yourself to the entire club there.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me anytime.

Mike
    QC Trustee.

15. roswaldreef

roswaldreef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey QC reefers!

I'm Rob and I'm just starting to build my tank. I have been out of the hobby for a few years, but I'm in the process of setting up my 75g tank again since I just moved to a new house in Coal Valley in the fall. I'm headed to the meeting tomorrow, so I look forward to meeting anyone that's going to be there, and I'm super excited to have such an amazing store as Coral Haven in the QC now!

I'm still working on re-finishing my stand so that it looks presentable in my house, but I think I have most of my equipment sorted out. Here's everything that I have, or plan to order:

Tank: 75g AGA w/ Durso Overflow and a 29g Sump

Filtration: Bringing back 100lbs of dead rock (acid bath) to life, GFO in a BRS Canister

Skimmer: RLSS R6i

Lighting: Crappy PC lights, looking at a Reefbreeders Photon 48 when it comes out

R/O: BRS 5 Stage RO/DI

Controller: Reef Angel

Supplements: Kalk to be used with ATO

Wave Maker: 2 x Jebao WP-25s

I work in IT and have a very basic programming background, but I'm pretty excited to get the ReefAngel and start making my tank as automated as possible. Also excited to fill my tank with some sweet corals and fish from Coral Haven once I'm cycled and healthy /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

16. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Rob welcome to the club.
    I think we met at Coral Haven earlier this week.

Looking forward to seeing the progress on your tank and helping you get it filled up.

Mike.

17. Cory25

Cory25 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I am kind of reintroducing myself here because I got a new account because I could not remember anything about the other /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif my name is Cory, some of you may remember me. I am from Aledo. I used to have a 90g setup but sold it to someone (if you are him, I'd loved to see pics!) because I was away on a deployment and the wife could not keep it going. I have considered starting a new one lately but it would probably be smaller. I wanted to come back here mainly because this is a great group but also to try to gain some of the knowledge back of what I had lol! I hope to talk to some of you and I will definitely be checking out the Coral Haven store!

18. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I remember you for sure,welcome home. Looking forward to seeing you in thes store. Our grand opening celebration will be June 1st, so be sure to stop in.

19. sassafras

sassafras Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone, My name is Becky.

My husband Roberto and I are just getting started in this hobby. Its probably been two months now.

Currently, we have a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon running.

We recently acquired a yellow tailed damsel, two clowns, a blue/green chromis, a brittle star, peppermint shrimp, and a half dozen of snails.

We are in the process of setting up a 125 gallon for these guys and hope to add a lot more to our collection in month or so.

I have some frags that I picked up at the frag fest in April. Also, a green leather that I acquired with all the fish.

I heard about this club from my neighbor who also started a small reef group on facebook called qc reef. Anybody is welcome to look us up and join. We are always looking to buy, sell and trade with other people.

20. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Hello name is Ray from Davenport been in the hobby for about 7.5 years.