1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Let`s look alive

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Guest, Nov 13, 2007.

1. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Phil and I were just discussing the possibility of a monthly or bi weekly get together today. We both work at Wells downtown and I know Brad is over at EMC with the other Ryan living nearby...

Just seems like too good of an opportunity to pass up. I know JJ has a pretty odd schedule but we can kidnap him now and then to provide the comedic relief.

As far as tank tour, you guys are welcome to swing by my new place out in Altoona. I revamped my aquascaping big time and replaced my deceased pygmy angel with a a Coral Beauty. Plus I am beginning to design a new stand to be able to put my sump underneath...

Anyway, as of tomorrow, I will be a "Official" Memeber and want to do what I can to help make this part of the club as active and as fun as possible.

2. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just to clarify - we were discussing this idea today - not discussing having a meeting today!

but yes, I do think it would be cool if we had a regular meeting time/place to get together and talk reefs!

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well folks, will Saturday the 8th work? Short notice, I know, but my employer is a POS and can't get my schedule worked out to what it is supposed to be. If it doesn't work, someone just throw something out and I'll request the day off and hope I can make it.

If you guys want to schedule a monthly get-together, I'll let you go nuts. I would be no help. My schedule sucks. It's likely I won't be able to come more often than not anyway. Great idea though.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I should also say that mid-afternoon would work best for me on that Saturday. I have some stupid meeting to attend in Iowa City that day. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

5. ZLTFUL

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will throw out a regular monthly meeting of maybe second Saturday of every month?
    Maybe do a roaming location or perhaps pick one place and stick to it...maybe if we do a single place, we can talk the venue owner into letting us set up a club tank! There is a bar in Denver with a nice saltwater tank between the bar and dining area that is a very nice conversation piece for the place.
    Ok lets just focus on meeting place and time now and convincing the venue owner that they need a tank later.

The 8th, later in the afternoon works fine for me.
    I would throw out Hessen Haus as a meeting spot maybe...they are usually pretty slow that time of the afternoon on Saturday and they offer good food and even better beer.

6. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'm OK with the 8th.

7. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm in for the 8th! and I love the Hessen Haus.

but are we having a meeting or doing a tank tour on the 8th? Or both?

8. nielsen2773

nielsen2773 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The 8th is fine for me but I dont drink or smoke so a bar sucks for me.

9. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Well, I guess what we do depends on where we go. There are smoke free bars. We could also do a tea shop, cafe or something. I like beer, but I also like me some tea. Gong Fu tea in downtown is a nice place. I would have to agree with the previous posters about Hessen Haus. Hessen Haus sehr gut!

10. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think the 8th will work for me. Hessen Hausssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. I love beer.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What time? Want to just meet there mid-afternoon, BS for a while and check out some tanks afterwards?

12. ZLTFUL

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's the nice thing about Hessen Haus...it's smoke free, offers coffee and soda...plus has great German food!!!
    That and it's walking distance away from java Joes and all that ilk.

I am OK with meeting up and then taking things from there.

13. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When did Hessen Haus go smoke free? Last time I was there they had a non smoking section...but I haven't been there in a couple months.

not that it's ever a big deal on a Saturday afternoon - they've got really high ceilings so it's gotta be pretty packed for the smoke to start to bother people, and they never are on a Sat afternoon.

14. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What do we have 6 of us? Who lives in Des moines?

15. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I would be there guys but I will just have gotten back home from Florida late Friday. It wouldn't go over too well if I went to Des Moines the next day. I would like to set up another get together during the work week. To be honest I drive to 120 miles to/from Des Moines 5 days a week, I don't usually go back on weekends.

16. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't blame you Joel, Florida in December you gotta love that.

17. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I'm in WDM.

18. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm in for the Haus and a tank tour! located in sherman hill, but won't be a stop on the tour unless everyone wants to see a tank cycling and 2 clowns in QT...

19. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We all been there, i been doing this stuff for a long time and just now got serious with it. Believe me i do not have a tank of the month by any mean.

20. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking like I can go. Do we have an idea of what time?