1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

LED Lighting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AJ, Jan 7, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm considering doing a DIY LED array for my lighting in my 12 gallon Nanocube.  Has anyone has experience with DIY LED lighting?  If so, can you share information about your experience?  There are some folks on Nano-Reef.com that really love them, and then there are the critics on Reef Central.  Looks like for a small tank like mine, it would run between $200 and $300.  Anyway, just checking to see if anyone in the club has tested this on their tank.
    And just for clarification, I'm talking about using them for the primary lighting, not just for moonlights.
    --AJ

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Jeremy (CyberJester) used to run the PFO Solaris LED lights. I haven't heard of anyone doing DIY LED's yet.

-JB

3. -=kevin=-

-=kevin=- Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a great project. Where will you get the leds? Do they use luxion stars like available on www.dealextreme.com? Some time ago I bought one led to modify a maglight flashlight, turned out the light was greenish. It was 2 - 3 years ago and no overdriving circuit.
    Anyway, keep us posted if you do yhis build.
    -kevin

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    One particular project build that I've been following on Nano-Reef.com uses the Cree Whites and Blues (stars) in an almost equal ratio. I've heard they perform just as good for lower cost. It looks like there are a good number of people out there doing these builds and the PAR readings look good, but it seems like I'm reading that good PAR readings don't always translate to good coral growth. I'm still trying to research things more before I drop my $$ down. I really like the idea of getting better lighting but keeping the stock hood; that's what's kind of driving me in this direction. We'll see how it goes. I'll make sure and do a build thread if I move forward with this.

--AJ