1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Lawn Mower Blenny feeding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a lawnmower blenny in my tank, he actively muches at the rocks but, his belly is starting to look thin. I feed green flakes into the tank twice daily, brine shrimp after lights out, and have been clipping nori near the bottom. Any advice on making sure he doesn't waste away?

2. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I believe that most LB will only eat algae in the tank and on the rockwork.  I had one and loved him until he went carpet surfing (during one of the only times the eggcrate was not on my tank).   Mine never ate prepared food, only algae.  Really cool fish. 
    If you don't have enough algae I would be afraid that he will continue to lose weight.  At that point you should try and find him a good home.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've never had any luck with lawnmower or red lipped blennies.

4. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    take a rock and put it in tapwater made saltwater sit it near a window with airation and let algae grow on it. should work?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well, having been home all day, I'm noticing that maybe it is normal for the LMB to be thin in the morning, this evening his belly looks normal... any thoughts anyone?

6. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, I think it all depends if you have algae for him to eat that is growing or available somewhere in your tank.  If you do, and if he is eating it then you should be ok.  Trying to "grow" algae really isn't a good solution or one that you are going to be able to keep going.  If the fish is eating you are good to go and if he is not or you don't have the food for him then you can either take him back to the fish store or find someone to buy him from you.  Better that than worrying about him starving to death.

7. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I realized I really missed my lawnmower blenny so I bought one last weekend.  (Mine went carpet diving last year.)  What animated little creatures they are!   I was just wondering how yours is doing?

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    He's good, he's hanging in there. He's even managed to be one of the only fish to avoid a temporary scar from the evil mantis shrimp I am trying to get out of the tank, if I could only find him....