1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Laser pointer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dzabler, Sep 13, 2009.

1. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a random question.  Yesterday one of my roommates was playing with a laser pointer and he pointed it at the tv and it reflected on the back wall.  I told him to point it at the tank to see if it would do the same and it did.  My clown and sixline started chasing the light around the tank trying to get it.   Is this a bad thing for the fish at all?  They just swim around in circles arount the light trying to get it.  My goby sometimes tries to eat it and some times goes back under the rocks, and my cromis just swims away and hides.  After seeing the goby and the cromis' response i just shine it close to the clown and the sixline.  Also i try not to shine it right in their faces just along the sand or on the rocks.  Just want to make sure i am not annoying them.

2. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I think fish in general will go after motion and color. It probably looked like a bright little shrimp or something. I suppose if you kept it up for long enough it would bother them, but I would hope you'd get bored before that point is reached.

3. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just as with humans, don't let it get in their eyes or it will burn them as well. Other than that, it should all be good.

4. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just as with humans, don't let it get in their eyes or it will burn them as well. Other than that, it should all be good.

5. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't see why it would hurt. That being said I am not aware of any official studies on the subject LOL.