1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Lalo [uncured] or Fiji [cured]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Benji, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i am going to place an order w/ dfs for some lr within the next few weeks for my first 12g aquapod w/ mh setup.  i am willing to sacrifice the extended cycle and possible unwanted hitchhikers for the uncured  lalo  but,  every  one  seems  to  go with  the cured fiji.
    i will not [or dont anticipate to] have any fish in this setup
    will have have 10lbs of ls
    what are the preferences or opinions regarding the two.
    another option would be the 16lb nano rock pack but, would prefer the 22lb fiji or 30lb lalo so that i will not be limited in my scaping options.
    i am leaning towards the 30lb lalo
    premium select fiji;
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=397
    select lalo;
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=876
    nano pack rock;
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1949
    and last if i purchase the 30lb lalo, would any one be interested in the 10-15lbs that i would have left over [free or a small  sum as a courtesy].
    also if anyone has any other lr vendors or have their own rock for sale, let me know.
    thanks for your time and i appreciate any feedback, info, criticism, opinions, and recommendations.
    ben

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the lalo looks freakin awesome...
    never really looked for cool rock before though...
    good luck with whatever you choose!
    (pmd btw)

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    First off, Ben welcome to the site.
    As for your LR questions, if it were me, i would just find someone in the club to buy it from. When looking at the links you posted, i couldn't help but think that the rock they are showing you pictures of is not going to look close to anything you will actually get. I am not saying they don't have good rock but don't expect it to look like that when you get it. Another good reason for buying it from someone here is that you will probably not only save a lot of money but you will get hooked up with coral and other stuff you might need as well.

Hope that helps with your decision.

Jeremy

4. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Waverz on 11/13/2007 6:02 PM
    First off, Ben welcome to the site.
    As for your LR questions, if it were me, i would just find someone in the club to buy it from. When looking at the links you posted, i couldn't help but think that the rock they are showing you pictures of is not going to look close to anything you will actually get. I am not saying they don't have good rock but don't expect it to look like that when you get it. Another good reason for buying it from someone here is that you will probably not only save a lot of money but you will get hooked up with coral and other stuff you might need as well.
    Hope that helps with your decision.
    Jeremy
    Good advice. Even if the rock looks like that the day you get it, by the time they get into your tank they will likely have die off that will render them a completely different look. Not to mention if you get rock from one of the locals you stand a better chance of getting critter free rock that is cycled and ready to go.

5. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    There are/were lots of people selling live rock lately if you are interested. I myself prefer Marshall Island rock.

6. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do agree with the others. But, a buddy of mine got around 150 pounds of lalo and I'd have to say there is not a bad piece. I was going to order all Lalo for my 55.  I ended up getting a complete 90 set up for around the same price though.

7. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got both the Lalo and Figi from them and the Lalo was not as pretty as it looked in the pictures.  The deepWater Fiji/show rock was really nice as well as the shelf rock was also nice.

8. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I would say lalo, figi is like putting bowling balls into your tank, it's heavy and dense. I love the natural look of the lalo...then again the figi is natural too but i have found better holes and shapes in using other then figi rock.