1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Labratory/Trace Elements water testing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waterrat41, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    Was wondering where I stood on trace elements. I know there are labs you can send a sample to and get a detailed analysis...
    What labs are people using and how satisfied are you all with the results?
    What elements should one worry about testing for and which ones should you not worry about?
    Where can one get the test kits from?

Love to hear from those of you that have done something like this :)
    Bruce

2. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Triton testing. I do 3 tests a year. Get them from Unique Corals.

I test regularly for, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphate, and nitrate.
    And salinity.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    I do Triton as well. I had done Aquamedic AWT previously and really prefer the parameters covered by Triton. Aquamedic includes more parameters you can easily test for.

4. Kungpaoshizi Well-Known ReefKeeper

davenport
    Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    I was doing Triton every now and then, but I really don't anymore. I just do 50% water changes every week. Sometimes it's more.. Hard to deviate from your salt mix then..

It is worthwhile though imo every now and again just to know if there's any unwanted material/compound getting into the water.
    As to which compounds are "necessary" you may as well just ask on the internet, "does anyone believe in God?"..
    I'm a full believer that any and all parameters should match the ocean and just because we haven't seen one compound to be of importance, don't leave it out. (thus tons of water changes)

5. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    How soon are you guys getting your results from triton. I sent a sample months ago.

6. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Yikes, I got my results back in a couple of weeks. 3 weeks tops. Have you received any emails saying that it was received in California and sent to Germany or received in Germany?

7. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    If I had a small to normal sized system I'd probably follow this approach as well. However, 50% WCs each week gets expensive pretty fast on a large system (I'd be spending about $4500 per year on salt). It's certainly more complicated to try to dose elements to keep everything as close to NSW as possible, but definitely more affordable on large systems. Ultimately we have the same end goal though.

8. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I haven't received anything, and of course I didn't save my ups tracking when I sent it.