1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

L Maroon Clownfish fry

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M2R, Sep 5, 2019.

1. M2R

Charles City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I just started collecting fry from my L. Maroon pair. Its been a while since I raised a batched. The first batch is 13 days old today. I see stripes forming already! I don't remember seeing stripes this quickly, the color just started showing up a few days backs and some are already showing white stripes. I think it is the Maroons just form them quicker than the percs.

Not sure how many in here raise the fry but if you do how quickly do you see the transformation? What feeding routines do you use for your fry? and what types of clowns are you raising? I have other pairs spawning but I have not been raising their fry.

- Mark

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    This is really great, it has been awhile since I raised clowns.

You should be heavy on BBS now with maroons.

3. M2R

Charles City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, i feed rotifers for 7 days, then bbs and rotis for 2 days and now just bbs. I am going to add some tiny powdered food over the weekend in an auto feeder because I will be out of town for two days. It really is awesome watching them color up, its been a while since I have done this. I do this now and then for the fun of it. Its a lot of work for not too many $. Hard to compete with the commercial operations, warehouse operations. The parents are both half lightening marron, half gold strip. I am hoping to get a few that look a lot more like those wild caught lightening maroons that everyone got so excited about. These half and half clowns just aren't that exciting.

4. M2R

Charles City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I would like to start doing H Reidi, seahorses again but I need to find a partner to help me when I am out of town. They can't be done with auto feeders and drips like I use for the clown fish fry.

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Good luck, Let me know if you need to offload babies, I am sure we can work something out.

Have you ever thought about culturing some of the easier copepods to feed? You can also use a dosing pump to feed BBS while you are gone as well.

I used to use the Sustainable Aquatics dry food, it is really really good.

6. M2R

Charles City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    i had a copepod culture going, they crashed. I think i was feeding them the wrong stuff. I was giving them the same green water I was feeding the rotis but I likely just needed to grind up some flake food for them.

What i did with the clowns the fist two weekends was add a **** ton of rotis and drip roti food into the rearing tank. It worked well.

I will try the Sustainable Aquatics foods.

7. M2R

Charles City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    xroads,

Are you raising clownfish currently? If so what varieties? Are you selling to a distributor? I have been selling my stuff directly to the hobbyist lately. I used to sell to larger distributors, even to F&S before they were bought by Petco. I am not sure what I will do with a batch of clownfish when they reach an inch and are ready for sale. On a side note it seems odd to me that petstores are selling the clowns now at 0.5 inch. That seems too small.

8. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I have a store in Waterloo now, I dont breed anymore. Last fish I was trying was angelfish. If I were to breed again it would be Yashia Gobies.

I am really surprised that anyone would sell a 1/2' clownfish, that is just wrong.

Have you ever considered going to the MBI workshop in Detroit every summer? I used to go, and learned a ton