1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Kylie`s 40g Reef Build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kylie, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Turns out it took two big guys, one on each piece, to get them apart. I took it to work with me and two of the fish guys got it apart for me. It was actually rather amusing.

As for the tank, I've got it moved into position! YAY!! I had to move the 20g across the room in order to put the 40 into place to start setting it up. I have all the plumbing done (the internal overflow is currently curing), the tank and stand set up, sump in place, and sand in the bottom and refugium section of my sump. Now I'm in the process of filling it up. I have about 1/4th of it full (just the tank) and am just waiting for my RO unit to make enough water to keep filling it more. I'll post pics soon.

2. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also, is it normal if the new sand and water make thick foamish stuff? I know I'm not being gentle when I'm dumping the water in since there isn't any lr or anything in it yet. It is live sand if that helps answer my question.

Thanks!

Kylie

3. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Another question. How can i rig the very end of my drain to make it quiet? Right now it is a long tube coming in at a 45 degree angle ended by a 45 degree elbow pointed down at the water surface. Unfortunately this is very loud making bubbling, gurgling, n overall draining noises. What design works the quietest for the end of my drain?

4. matt the fiddler

matt the fiddler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Foam is normal.

For the drain dump a few options.
    1- filter sock

2- put the outlet below the water line... even better in it's own chamber.

3- below the water level but in a silencing chamber.
    I will put the outlet into a milk jug or grape juice jug (2 liters or larger??) filled with liverock rubble and with tons of holes under the water line to let the water strain out . this breaks up your micro bubbles some.

also, you can put a lager diameter pvc over it, perforated with holes. on a 3/4inch drain i might slip a 1.25 or 1.5" length of pipe , again with holes poked right at the bottom.. this contains the salt creep, bubbles, and noise.

5. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Picture time!!! These are all from last night as I was filling the tank. Right now the drain pipe isn't connected because I added an extension that'll go down under the sump surface to see if that will be quieter. Right now thats drying, but in another half an hour it'll be fully cured and I can hook it back up and hopefully turn on my return pump and get things circulating!! WOOT!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Looking good! I did notice one thing though...do you have room for your skimmer in the stand?

7. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No. I didn't realize how much space my sump would take up. I'm working on setting it up in the space behind the stand/tank.

And what is the best way to get my water to clear up? It seems like everytime I let it cycle (w/ drain to sump then return pump back) it just stirs it up more and gets cloudy again. And it gets much worse if I turn on my powerheads.

8. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is my skimmer what will eventually clear up my water? I had just assumed at first that it was unsettled sand but when I think about it, a skimmer would be able to get most of that gunk out of the water... Any ideas? I'm going to hopefully get the skimmer hooked up tonight.

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've used sponge type filter media in between the baffles to quickly clear the water. Let it clear, clean off the glass, blow off the rocks, etc and let it clear again before removing the sponges. I don't leave them in long term...just to clear up the initial cloudiness.

--AJ

10. Matt

Matt Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried a Filter sock yet. I would use that, and then you can wash them and reuse them.

11. matt the fiddler

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    as long as your sand isnt' getting blown aroudn too much.. the cloud will settle down.

+1 on the filter sock.

12. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I havent tried a sock yet. Do I have to make/buy a filter sock inlet or is there some way I could hook it to my drain pipe?

Also, what kind of sponge did you use aj? Is there such thing as a harmful sponge for a tank/sump?

13. Matt

Matt Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    easiest way to make one is to use a piece of 4in PVC and drill some holes for the water to flow out. Then just figure out your height and your set, the filter sock will sit right on thr lip of a 4in iece of PVC

14. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got my live rock yesterday and got home from school today to be greeted by this little guy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He must have taken a ride on one of the rocks from Petland. I called to work quick and they said for now, he'd be fine in my tank. That he won't bother any of my fish or corals. Eventually he won't fit in this tank though right? I had thought that most starfish got too big for a 40g. Any tips on keeping this little guy happy would be much appreciated. I've never had a starfish before (however temporary it may be).

15. matt the fiddler

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    he most likely will sift the sand, and eat everything in it... killing your chance to have a breeding sandbed to feed the tank.

Theya re really great creatures.. I woudl try to trade some one it for coral frags if I were you /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

16. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Yea I would say get rid of it too. I have two in my 125 bare bottom and I'm starting to get upset with them. Every time I feed they come out and climb all over the corals and steal their food. Every time I've found a new home for them they end up back in my tank after a while. If anyone wants a green brittle or a harlequin serpent, they're free in Cedar Falls.

17. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok. I don't want anything that will ravash my sandbed. I really want a scooter blennie someday. Anybody know anybody who wants a brittle star?

18. rgreene

rgreene

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Tank looks good

19. ransomed4ever

ransomed4ever Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've got a huge (~14" arm tip to arm tip) brittle in my 90 and I've never had a problem with it. When I feed it will come out and grab a little food with its arms, but it never climbs on corals. Most of the time it just hides in the rocks in its cave and you can usually only see an arm or two. It hasn't done anything to my sandbed either. I have pods and mysis all over, and a 3+ year old, fat mandarin.

20. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Will mine get that huge?!? There's no way I could have a 14" star in a 40g. That would just be mean I think