1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

kids made a mess of my tank

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by jwess, May 11, 2009.

1. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So I go downstairs this evening to relax and gaze endlessly at my tank.  There was a smell of fish food in the air.  I look in the tank and there was about half a can of Formula One pellets all over the tank.  My skimmer has kicked into overdrive or probably out of wack.  Its spewing out micro bubbles like crazy.  I tried to suck up as much as I could and dumped some over my LPS which seemed to love the all you can eat buffet. It took me about ten minutes to find my daughter who had been hiding from me as soon she heard me yell "WHAT HAPPENED HERE."  We had a long talk and she went to bed early tonight. I thought the tank was out of reach but not for the mind of an engineering four year old I gues.  She emptied out a bunch of toy boxes and built some block steps to reach the top of my tank.  I gues I better start mixing some water for a water change tomorrow. 
    Josh

2. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    not good. u are going to have to have to build a locking canopy for your tank now

But guess what I did, I must have turn my actine lights on(bypass the timer) right before my trip because last night I realized that they did go off when They should have, so my tank has been lit 24/ for a week.

3. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    David,
    but how was your trip?

4. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it was awesome,
    I snorkel/ scuba dive with 4 sea turtles, a 4 foot stingray, a couple barracudas, lobsters, u name it a was with it

5. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    how is the tank today

6. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    sorry to hear about the tank a pretty good idea my buddy did on his 55 with a canopy. He had all aggressive fish and was worried about his daughter putting hand near the water and you could guess the rest. SO istead of figuring out a lock that wouldnt look gaudy or expensive he bought those cheesy sirens for alrms systems that go on your windows and when the two pieces pull away from each other a reallly loud siren goes off. Not only will an adult hear it to stop his kids they usaully run before he has to come cause the sound. Just a thought they are like 10 bucks at wal mart or menards. HOpe this helps.