1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Kalkwasser questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AJ, May 27, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was reading an article about Kalkwasser tonight (http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/...asser.html) and it left me with a question...do you still dose kalk on a system with a calcium reactor or not?  I always thought that adding the calcium reactor took place of the kalk dosing (which I thought was done to keep calcium levels high enough) but this article mentions how it's doing more to capture free carbon dioxide.
    So those if you with calcium reactors...do you still dose kalk?
    --AJ

2. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am no expert, but what I have heard that some still dose some kalk, to help raise the pH up.

3. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I guess it would depend what your goal is for using the Ca reactor and dosing kalk.......I dose kalk for the Ca it provides and for pH and am not really concerned about capturing free cO2, but maybe I should be, lol........

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hear ya!  The author of the article took a very chemistry centric focused view on the subject and for a non-chemist like myself, I think it left me with more questions than answers.  Maybe I'm just over-thinking things...I have a tendancy to do that.
    --AJ

5. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    i have a mrc 4 calcium reator on my tank and a kalk reactor (home made)too. my kalk reactor turns on at night to compensate for the ph drop. so manly i just use kalk to raise ph at night.
    matt

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good to know. I had not planned to have a kalk reactor, but I'm reconsidering. Anyone else have any feedback on this.

--AJ

7. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Alot of it depends on your ca pull, if your ca reactor is maintaining all your levels at the proper level there really isn't a need for a kalk reactor. I've used mine a total of three times since i hooked my reactor up and everytime i hook the kalk up it throws my levels way out of wack. You might want to set your reactor and see if you really need the extra dosing before spending the cash