1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Kalk or Two part?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CREYNOLDS, Dec 2, 2008.

1. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I am ready to start setting up my tank for sps. I am wanting to know should I do a kalk drip or a two part drip? My cal is super high now but I dont ahve anything using it. Or can I use both? What is the best idea for sps? I have have some kalk now but I don't have any two part. What do you guys suggest? Thanks!!

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    How big of tank are we talking? If its a large tank i would suggest a CA reactor as this will keep your Ca and Alk at proper levels as well as keep them stable. But, if its a smaller system I think if you use the 2 part correctly you shouldn't need to drip kalk at all.

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would use kalk on a regular basis, and use the 2 part to adjust levels where you want them. If you're like me and you slack on your kalk dripping a couple days, your Ca & alk will drop. Kalk is good to maintain levels but not raising them back up. So this is where the 2 part comes in handy.

4. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I should also mention, you can just dose the 2 part, but it's kinda a pain in the butt and gets expensive.

5. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't like to point anyone back to RC but there is still good contributors with plenty of insight.  JDieck posted comparitive cost in a 24, 55, 120 and a 225 gallon system.  Depending on your daily alkalinity consumption, you can determine which is the most cost-effective solution for you.
    Personally I got rid of my calcium reactor and I will be going back to topping off with limewater and dosing two-part.  I feel it's much safer because it will be harder to crash a system vs the latter.  I have also considered the balling light method but will try the limewater with two-part before giving that a try.

6. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By slovan on 12/03/2008 08:38 AM
    I don't like to point anyone back to RC but there is still good contributors with plenty of insight.  JDieck posted comparitive cost in a 24, 55, 120 and a 225 gallon system.  Depending on your daily alkalinity consumption, you can determine which is the most cost-effective solution for you.
    Personally I got rid of my calcium reactor and I will be going back to topping off with limewater and dosing two-part.  I feel it's much safer because it will be harder to crash a system vs the latter.  I have also considered the balling light method but will try the limewater with two-part before giving that a try.
    what is the "balling light method"?

7. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 56 gallon with a 20 gallon live rock sump and a 10 gallon refuguim.

8. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  9. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0