1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Just ordered new T5 bulbs!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RobynT, Jan 10, 2008.

1. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've thought that my tank hasn't looked very perky lately and I've been dealing with low Calcium that I now have in line. Then I realized that my T5 bulbs were about 14 months old so I just ordered a whole new set (6 ) for my 48" Tek fixture.  After several emails back and forth with Greg at Reefgeek, they are ordered!  I had such a great experience with Greg when I initially ordered my fixture and bulbs that I reordered with that company.  I mostly went with ATI brand bulbs this time (I mostly had Gieseman before) on the recommendation of much reading and mostly because Iwan uses them.  If you don't know who Iwan is, go check out his tank.  His color is fantastic!!   I  will post when I get my new bulbs in, I'm sure it will make a huge difference.
    BTW, Iwan recommends that you change out your T5 bulbs every 6 months.
      http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=927405&perpage=25&pagenumber=14
    http://www.reefland.com/rho/0106/feature8.php

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Iwan's tank is definitely in my top 10 of all time! It's hard to argue when he has that kind of success. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif So what color combo did you end up getting? As far as color temperature, what is ideal for you?

3. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What I ended up getting was:
    2- ATI Blue Plus   
    1- ATI Aquablue Special
    1- ATI True Actinic
    1- ATI Pro Color      
    1-UVL Aqua Sun
    I chose these with Gregs help since he is the expert and I am not.  I wanted ATI bulbs and I like a slightly bluer look vs a white or yellow look.  What do you think about this combo Sone?  I'm open to any critique (I could still change my order if you have any advice.)
    Thanks

4. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it'll be fine.  The only thing I would do differently is to get another AB special in place of the Aquasun.  I don't mind white but I don't like any yellow in my tank.  But that's just personal preference.  From what I can tell, it should give off a nice blue tint. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif
    I don't know how much you have read on the bulbs but this thread might be useful to look at the PAR numbers and a general look at how the bulbs might look.  Grim Reefer thread

5. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did a bit of checking on RC boards on the Aquasun and wasn't impressed so I contacted Reefgeek to change my order (the bulbs were the same price.)   Thanks for your input Sone, I was hoping to get your opinion!
    Anyone else out there use any of these bulbs and have likes/dislikes?