1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

just brang home a couple little clowns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seanndenise1, Dec 23, 2007.

1. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    heres a pic of my clowns i just brang home, they are going to have a whole 125 to themselves, except for the 3 yellow tail damsels that are in there i think, i never see em unless its feeding time.
    me and denise really love clownfish, we really wanted some for a long time but didnt have a setup for them, now they have their own little reef.
    im gonna keep track of them on here, add pics and stuff as they grow.
    [​IMG]

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice clowns, where did you get them? Also, how big are they and do you plan on getting them an anemone?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice, did you get them at AE?  I have a pair, I'm waiting until my new tank is ready for them.  I usually like to wait 3 months, but I might go a little earlier.

4. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By slovan on 12/23/2007 2:47 PM
    Nice clowns, where did you get them? Also, how big are they and do you plan on getting them an anemone?
    thanks, yeah they are cute little buggers.
    i got them at pet depot in moline down by walmart.
     hes got the best price on them by far, everyone wants 27.99 for them.
     im not a penny pincher real bad but darn thats a good price.
    mike sells em for 11.99 at 1.5 inches.
    17.99 at 2-2.5 inches but hes out of the bigger ones now, expects to get some a week from friday.
    mine are 1.5 inches
    he also has some tank raised perculas down there 1-1.5 inches, i think they are 12.99
    yeah i want to get an anemone for them, i need to read up on them first and figure out what type to get.
    i thought i read somewhere that they require alot of light, i have 20k xm bulbs going and have read that they are not real high par bulbs, they look darn good though.
    ill see how coral grows and make a judgement on what type of anemone to get.
     i might be wrong but, i dont know jack about anemones.

5. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Atram on 12/23/2007 3:18 PM
    Nice, did you get them at AE?  I have a pair, I'm waiting until my new tank is ready for them.  I usually like to wait 3 months, but I might go a little earlier.thanks, i got them down at pet depot moline.
    i know, my tank has had rock in it since october and cycled fast.
     ive been checking it since every few days with no spikes at all.

i was kinda thinking of not getting them this soon.
     but heck there alot of snails and hermits in there along with 3 other small fish 4-5 peppermint shrimp and they all are doing good.
    heck there was a pile of snail poop in there and i didnt detect any ammonia at all ,so im confident  it can handle 2 little clowns.
     ill definatly check for ammonia/nitrite every day just to make sure they are alright.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

With your light bioload you shouldn't have any issues in a 125 with a sump at 3 mos.  I've been into nano's for years and I've noticed my 58 is much more forgiving than the nano's.

7. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    If you don't get any other fish, you can get a carpet anenome for them. I believe that is one of their native hosts.

8. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By tibbs2 on 01/08/2008 10:17 AM
    If you don't get any other fish, you can get a carpet anenome for them. I believe that is one of their native hosts.
    yeah that came to mind, im kinda in a bind with an anemone right now.
    i picked up an anemone for a family freind over the holidays at his wifes request as a present.
    came to find out that his tank was in a bad state and i ended up holding onto it for him.
    i knew nearly nothing about anemones and counted on the owner of a fish store to give me an easy one to care for, i asked for an easy one, and got the worst possible type to keep alive.
    i want to get mad at the guy who sold me it, but i cant blame anyone but myself on account i dont know crappola about them and had no buisness buying it.
    at the moment its hiding in my rockwork away from lights, it opens up when the lights go out.
    i may just give it away if it doesnt come out of it soon./site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/confused.gif but am at a loss at this point.

9. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bet he sold you a yelow or white anemone with purple tips? Sebae Lucky if it lasts a month. Carpets aren't too bad, but they are fish eaters. Your best bet if you want an anemone is a bubble tipped. They come in many colors and split easily.

10. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it was ritteri

sometime in the future im going to get a carpet anemone, they look pretty cool and from what ive read they arent real hard to keep alive.

11. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    carpets are pretty easy, but they eat everything, I had one and he ate my cleaner shrimp, plus they get huge!

12. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Carpets get huge and will eat your fish, even the clowns hosting it.

13. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Travis on 01/20/2008 8:18 PM
    Carpets get huge and will eat your fish, even the clowns hosting it.
    so are you saying that carpets eat all fish, or it is possible that they could eat a clown that it is hosting.
    im pretty sure that could happen with any anemone, just more likely with a carpet.
    theres quite a few people who own carpet anemones.
    i have a alright size tank that can house a carpet, pretty easily, so size isnt really a factor.
    i may get one i may not, i have no immediate plans on another anemone at the moment.
    i like carpet anemones only for 1 reason, they have short tenticles, for some reason long tenticled anemones look funny to me, any advise on a easy to keep, short tenticled anemone would be appreciated.

14. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bubble tips are fairly short and easy to keep. Carpets have been known to kill large fish in aquariums including tangs. I look at it this way, find the most expensive or irreplacable fish in your tank, that is the one it is going to eat... I had an elephant ear mushroom eat 2 males from seperate spawning clown pairs. One male was from an ocellaris pair that I had for 5 years. The second was a male onyx with more black than Rod's clowns. A once in a million fish... And that was just a stupid mushroom I got for free...

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ouch! a mushroom at some of your fish? I know those elephant ones get huge but man, that is CRAZY.

16. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I didn't realize carpets ate ocellaris. I though that carpets were one of their natural hosts in the wild. I never could get my ocellaris to host my BTA. First they hosted the frogspawn, then the goniopora until they killed it. Finally got a maroon and he took to that BTA in no less than two days.

17. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah they can and do eat any type of clowns, its just a risk that you would have to take.

i think i would be mighty POd if an anemone ate my clowns, im kinda liking them.

i have been talking to another member on here about a rbta he might be selling.