1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

July Topic Poll?

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by CyberJester, May 27, 2009.

1. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All I am trying to get on top of things and looking to start getting the July activities together.
    I am planning a picnic at knoll ridge and would like to have one other DIY topic meeting or activity.
    Which of the following activities would you be most interested in for a July meeting.

2. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    beer pong tournament

3. Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I voted for DIY rock. I always thought that would be a fun one for a group project.

4. mralanjones

mralanjones Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    +1 for beer pong

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I missed the writein for pong /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif
    Voted for reactor, gonna be needing one of those!

6. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tell you guy's what, if we do it at my place, I'll get the taps chilled and half the room can be dedicated to beer pong the other to reactors! [​IMG]

7. Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok sounds good.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    (So i'll try this again as my posts weren't showing up yesterday.)
    I was thinking about joining up, would this be a good event for me to "test drive" the club?
    Thanks.

9. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Depends at where you are in the hobby.
    If you are just starting out, I would probably do the DIY reef food event that is this weekend or the IC tank tour which is on June 27.
    Though a lot of depends on where you are going, I do remember you having an interest in building a sump.  So If we do the Calcium Reactor like it looks like thats what we will be doing the July event may serve you best.
    If you send me a PM with where you are at and where you are planning on going with your reef.  You could even post here so others could give there thoughts.  We could help you decide what event is right for you to attend as your freebie.
    Jeremy
    GIRS CR/IC Area Trustee

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would say I am decently well versed in the hobby. I have kept a reef tank for about a year and a half. I have a BC 29g right now(as I just graduated and as a student its a pain to move larger tanks). I run 14k 150w DE Phoenix halide. One MP20 and from time to time an additional koralia 2. Sapphire Aquatics skimmer. I keep mainly SPS(with great success), with a handful of LPS and a growing collection of zoos. I have been various online reef forums (mainly RC) and have lurked around here as a guest for over a year. I finely decided I better atleast become a member of the forum, and now that I am done with school it will be a lot easier to be active in the club. Which is why I asked.
    The tank I am setting up is an AGA 180 w/ dual overflows. Everything else as far as equipment is still somewhat a debate.
    I know various homemade recipes for your own fish/reef food, and would get much more use outta the acrylic/ca reactor demos. I guess my root question was, would it just be a good meeting in general to see what its like to be in the club and attend meetings/gatherings? I was told back in Nov. at the swap that one could go to a meeting to see what its like before you "join" the club, is that true?   

11. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Jmadison on 06/09/2009 02:24 PM
    I would say I am decently well versed in the hobby. I have kept a reef tank for about a year and a half. I have a BC 29g right now(as I just graduated and as a student its a pain to move larger tanks). I run 14k 150w DE Phoenix halide. One MP20 and from time to time an additional koralia 2. Sapphire Aquatics skimmer. I keep mainly SPS(with great success), with a handful of LPS and a growing collection of zoos. I have been various online reef forums (mainly RC) and have lurked around here as a guest for over a year. I finely decided I better atleast become a member of the forum, and now that I am done with school it will be a lot easier to be active in the club. Which is why I asked.
    The tank I am setting up is an AGA 180 w/ dual overflows. Everything else as far as equipment is still somewhat a debate.
    I know various homemade recipes for your own fish/reef food, and would get much more use outta the acrylic/ca reactor demos. I guess my root question was, would it just be a good meeting in general to see what its like to be in the club and attend meetings/gatherings? I was told back in Nov. at the swap that one could go to a meeting to see what its like before you "join" the club, is that true?   
    Yes, that is true you may attend one free member event to try-the-hat on kind of thing.  Sounds like you have a good foundation, From the sounds of it, you might want to attend the DIY Calcium reactor event for your freebie. 
    A lot of people get stuff out of the tank tours as you get a chance to see first hand what others are doing with their tanks, and inspires you in some cool things you can do.
    Personally (speaking specifically for me), I get the most out of the social aspect and sharing my hobby with others in real time.  It is nice to actually sit down and share a beer and conversation with those who enjoy the hobby as much as you.  With the now expansive Internet, you can find all most all the information you desire on any given topic out there.  So I will leave the event to you to choose from.
    Currently we have the following planning, just drop me a line and I give you the details for one of your choosing.
    June 13, DIY food event
    June 27, Iowa City Tank tour
    July ???, DIY Calcium reactor Construction (date not decided yet)
    Thanks,
    Hope you do decide to become a member

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cyber-

Thanks so much for your info/hospitality!

I too enjoy the just shooting the shtuff with fellow reef nerds :) I seem to learn the most from those types of situations. Like bouncing ideas off eachother and whatnot. Perhaps I'll attend to the IC tour as my freebie and join up in time for the DIY Ca Reactor. Can I instantly attend meetings after signing up?

13. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Jmadison on 06/09/2009 03:28 PM
    Cyber-
    Thanks so much for your info/hospitality!
    I too enjoy the just shooting the shtuff with fellow reef nerds :) I seem to learn the most from those types of situations. Like bouncing ideas off eachother and whatnot. Perhaps I'll attend to the IC tour as my freebie and join up in time for the DIY Ca Reactor. Can I instantly attend meetings after signing up?
    Yes, as long as you join through the website, which I believe is a paypal link, Doing this way grants automatic access to the membership forum set which is what we use to post the detail information for membership functions, if you do it any other way the site admin (JB) would have to manually add you to the user group. 
    Sounds good when I post the detailed information for the IC tour then just ping me through IM and ask for the information I will add you to my running freebie list and send you the information.