1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

July Meeting - DIY Food Information - July 13th

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Chris C., Jun 19, 2013.

1. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, looks like I wont be able to attend this one either... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/sad.gif I don't get off work until 7 am Saturday morning!! Chris, can you or beckerj3 hold my two bags for me? I'll be able to pick them up Saturday, but it'll be later in the afternoon.

2. NanoNut

NanoNut

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, bad morning for me. I won't make it. That is obvious. I'll stop by in a couple of hours and pick up the food and pay though. Sorry, I wasnt able to help.

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    BIG thanks to all that showed up to help! This was definitely the largest batch made to date - 100+ 14oz bags, or about 90 lbs - and it also went pretty smooth, we were pretty much done in 3 hours. Everyone pitched in one way or another and it turned out great.
    Also a great big thanks to Zoombie for hosting the event!
    As usual, I always learn something new to make the process faster, this time the big one was using a pre-measured Solo cup for the portions instead of weighing each bag as they were filled (thanks Eric!)
    Also the use of a large mortar mixer made it possible for me or anyone else to avoid getting arm-deep in garlicy goodness.
    Looking forward to the next time!

4. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0

I've got your two bags for you.

5. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Hey Guys, just want to echo what Bud said. This seemed to go really smoothly. Bud and I spend a lot of time before hand buying all the ingredients that we needed, and then spent a lot of time this morning thawing everything out that made it run pretty smoothly.

Also thanks to Zoombie for hosting! It was awesome to have the event out in the country!

As we keep on making this food, hopefully we will continue to improve the process and the product.

Special thanks to Bud AKA Turbo's Aquatics for helping with the needed discounts to drive down the cost! Also for Bud meeting me at the fish market to help secure all the needed ingredients!

6. doug1029

doug1029

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would also like to say thank you!! You guys went to a lot of work to arrange this and I was happy to attend!! Glad to be part of such a fantastic group!

7. Eric & Amber

Eric & Amber Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To start with thanks Zach for hosting , as far as the idea I try to follow the KISS method . So to feed the food do I need to thaw it in some water then pour that in or just feed it frozen . also thanks for all the effort you guys and gals went to so this could happen and we could all get a GREAT food . Hope to see all in Aug

8. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    It depends on the day for me.

There are times when I just break off a piece and wave it in the tank as it dissolves when I am in a hurry. Times where I thaw it out in RO or Salt and put it in. It's more of a personal preference.

Some memebers thaw out the brick and then put it in cubes like an ice tray so they can feed equal amounts.

Hope this helps!

9. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Glad everything went so well!! Wish I could have made it /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/mad.gif. But I get very few chances to go camping and this was the big one for the year. SO....... Anyway, sound like it was a great success /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Most of the time I hold it at the top of the tank and let them pick at it until it softens and then I squeeze it and break it up. only rarely will I just drop it in (like last night, on the way out the door). I never thaw and dump unless I'm letting one of the kids feed them.

11. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    I think this was the best DIY Food meeting to date :0) Making it went smoothly...great location...great members and conversations :0) Thanks Zoobie! Thanks Bud for not posting!...teehee:0)

12. Eric & Amber

Eric & Amber Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info and the work that was put forth to make this event happen.

13. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0

It was great to have such a good turnout. Thanks Chris & Bud for all your work to get this organized and getting the food together - especially so close to the 4th of July holiday.

Its good to see an increased attendance again at the club meetings. Let's keep the momentum going!

14. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0

Oh - and the club provided 2 bags of food to the Boone school for their new tank and 1 bag of food to Central Campus.