1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

July Meeting - DIY Food Information - July 13th

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Chris C., Jun 19, 2013.

1. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    If we could get club members to bring some items, this weekend should be successful.

Food Grade Scale (Something that measures in ounces)
    Food Processor (Not a blender, a processor work much better)
    Razor Sharp Knives (Needed for cutting Squid and Octopus)

Post Here what you are bringing!

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I think we are good on the scales, both Joe and I have digital scales that are very accurate. But another can't hurt

3. Eric & Amber

Eric & Amber Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can bring a scale couple of knives and some cutting boards. Will also bring a knife sharpener .

4. doug1029

doug1029

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can bring a couple of knives and a cutting board as well.

5. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I will NOT be able to make it. I am going camping. I will still buy food.

6. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0

Lucky you, Nick!!/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

7. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Do we have a head count on who's helping Chris?

As stated before, I will bring a food processor, knife and cutting board :0)

8. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    We should have 13 of us there that day to help!

It is great that we will be able to get together as a group and help each other out!

9. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I will be there as well. I can bring knife & cutting board.

10. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Ok, thanks Chris!!

11. doug1029

doug1029

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone,

Just want to clarify where the event will be held. I know it was posted on the first page but then there was talk about moving. Looking forward to the event!!!

12. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    The address of where the event is at, is the one listed in the first post on the first page.

13. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Have you got this resolved on how you will get your bags of food? Both mcclandy and eric&amber are planning to be at the event. Also, I'm holding the food for sblomgren. So I could also hold yours and maybe he could bring it back to Ames for you to pick up at his house.

14. sblomgren

sblomgren Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I could definitely do that.

15. jazzybio13 MBI Breeder

Ames
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey thanks beckerj3, I did get it resolved....just hadn't had the chance to post that yet! Thanks- Eric&Amber is bringing mine back.
    Thanks though!

16. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Just for everyone's information, all of the ingredients are in our possession - lots of freezer space being taken up.

Brine Shrimp Direct sent about 20 sample jars of their new product which is "Raw, No-Thaw Arctic Copepods". Basically this is the same as Cyclopeeze but no one else can call it that or Argent will sue them, which is why I'm excited to use their new product in this year's batch since the Argent people are douchebags who threatened to sue if I posted that we were using their product in our mixture and referred to it by name.

Anyways, this Raw-No-Thaw stuff is pretty cool, you put it in the freezer but it doesn't freeze, then you can scoop out the exact amount you want and put it in your tank instead of swizzling a frozen stick or breaking off a chunk.

FYI we are putting in 1.8 pounds of it in the DIY food this year. Yeah!

17. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Oh I should add that the sample jars will go out to all that attend & help out. BSD sends lots of samples like this every time we do this.

18. daalbers

daalbers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0
    Sweat can't wait I actually get to go this time also will bring knifes and food processor

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  19. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    Has it been decided to whom to provide the money for and then collect from if you're not able able to attend?

20. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    If you are able to attend you can give the cash to Beckerj once she arrives. While all of us are making food, she will be working out all the financial for us. If someone is taking your food home with them for you, you can get the cash to that person so they can get it to us.

Otherwise I will be contacting all of those that aren't able to get their food that day and we will arrange a time for you to get it.