1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

JB`s LED Build Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Mar 29, 2011.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I know that they have a high output, I just don't agree with some of the recommendations that I've seen for running them at 40% or less.   They are great, but they are not that great.  I've got my fixture over my frag tank running at very high output and all of the corals are very happy.

2. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    JB-

That's what I was thinking 2 foot sections with 48 per section. I was looking at reef led website, looks like they make a kit with 48 led's and 4 drivers. So the time I upgrade to dimmable drivers and the heat sinks, I will be close to the $480 mark per section. I little more then the T-5's I was looking at getting, they were around $600 to $700 the time I would get the fixture and the bulbs. In the long run it only makes sense to go led's, no worry about about bulb changes every 6 mths or worrying about the heat issue as well. One other question, I will be buliding a canopy for the 120, how far up off the water level would you place the lights? Would you guys also advise to still put a fan in the canopy on the ends to help bring in new cool air, or is the fans on the heat sinks enough to cool the whole system?

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I would just use the hanging kit's they sell at rapidled.com.   The work awesome and let you easily adjust the height to whatever you like.   I built some simple brackets using aluminum bar from home depot that allow me to adjust the front to back position easily as well.   I have my middle fixture sitting a little futher back since there are no overflows in the middle.
    Here's a couple shots of what the fixtures look like in my canopy:
    /Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/IMG_4822.jpg
    /Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/IMG_4823.jpg
    The other thing that I really love about the LED's is how compact they are in my canopy compared to MH Pendants and T5's...  If you look at the side shot, you can really see how much room there is in the canopy now...    I can easily see a lot more of my tank from the top than I could before.

4. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I talked with Bill today from reefled. He suggested for my 120 40 leds on a 18" heat sink, that would be 26 blues and 14 whites. So having two would equal a total of 80 leds. He suggested using 3 drivers, two for the blus and one for the white, I was looking at the 40 watt dimmable ones. He also said that he suggest the xpe leds with the 80 degree opticals with it. So with 3 drivers,leds and the heatsinks I would be sitting about just shy of $400 a light, so not bad when I was looking at spending about $700 on a t-5, doesnt make sense to do that at all now.Any thoughts?

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good to me... Bill is probably a good person to listen to...

6. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    JB-
    It's been almost 6 months since you completed the awesome looking LED setup. Hope it's running as well now as it was when you finished the build. After this long is there anything you would do differently or would change?

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I would have bought better fans. The cheap Chinese fans I bought have all burned out, so I'm going to have to replace them something a little more high quality.

As far as growth, some corals clearly like them more, and a few like them less. For example, my pink birds nest is vibrant pink now. I never got that kind of coloration under my halides. On the other hand, my Miliporas, which grew almost too good under my halides, don't seem to like them at all. I have hunch that it's just too much light for the mili's. I'm going to try moving a few frags to lower in the tank and seeing if they perk up.

My tank temp stays very stable and cool without the need for extra fans, the overall color is about 95% as good as my halides and my electric bill has gone down for the first time since I made the mistake of getting into this hobby... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

All in all, I'd say I pretty much love them.

8. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I am thinking about putting LED in my 29gal Reef tank. What do you thing would be a good Size to use? Type of LED Qty and so on. I am thinking of building vs buying Corallife or something. I am a Big DIY'er so I will do some research, but wanted some direction first. I am In North Liberty and would love to come take a look at your setup some time.

Thanks

Kyle

9. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Off the top of my head I'd say you need between 12 and 18 led's for a 29.

Take a look at some of the other people on here who have posted LED builds for their nano tanks (there are several).

The technology is evolving and changing rapidly, so there is probably better information out there now than when I did my build earlier this year.

10. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Ok Thanks. 12 to 24 was what I was thinking so that sound about right. I will keep up looking online for more info. I am thinking a smaller build will be rather easy and Priced right.

Kyle