1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

JB`s LED Build Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Mar 29, 2011.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm using thermal adhesive. It's less work and it works perfectly fine.

The lenses I use have adhesive tape on the back, so they come with their own adhesive. I order a few extra in case have problems with getting one to stick.

2. ThyRaven

ThyRaven Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I might be interested in joining in on the training class. Just let me know when and where and I'll try to make it over. I have a 125g tank I'd love to put LEDs over, just not sure on expense and how big I need the heat sink to be. Prolly look at least 48" long since my tank is 60" long but it is 25" deep - 23" to the top of the sand bed and 17" wide. But the final design is still in the works and I was looking at the XM-Ls more than the XP-E but I may change my mind on that as well. Cost is going to be the killer.

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok, If anyone is interested, I'm going to have a little DIY LED workshop for club members next Sunday (May 22nd) starting at Noon. It will probably last several hours (maybe until 4 or 5). We won't be able to complete an entire fixture, but I will try and hit all of the main points.

I'll be posting about this in another thread a bit later.

If you would like to attend, please RSVP.

Thanks

-JB

4. ThyRaven

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well I'd love to join in on this but dont think the misses will let me outta the house on her weekend off. JB I'd love to talk more about my design to make sure I am thinking this thru correctly. If you are still on I am in the chat room.

5. ThyRaven

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    How bad does the amount of lumens effect coral growth?  I cant make up my mind if I want to run the XM-Ls for more lumens or just go with the XP-Gs.
    I currently have the idea of using your frag tank setup but not sure that is really needed.  I am going with 4 rows of 26 on a 54" X 16" heat sink (customizing it - not sure on how it'll look as of yet)
    So I was looking at using 24 - XM-L Cool White T5, 24 - XP-G Cool White, and 52 - XP-E Royal Blue.  Also everything will have a 60 degree optic.
    Is this over kill?  It'll sit on a 125g (60" X 25" X 17").  Any advise or tips would be great.

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    A few thoughts:

1) I would go with 2 channels rather than 3. I can tell you from experience that the added complexity of a 3rd channel doesn't really buy you anything. I'm going with a 2 channel design on the lights I'm building now for my display tank.

2) I can't see any real value in using both XM-L and XP-G. The XM-L's are 20% more efficient than the same current than XP-G's but they are also more expensive. I used XM-L's on my frag tank light and I'm using XP-G's in my display tank fixtures. I decided to go with the XP-G's because they are cheaper and good optics are readily available for them (at the time I ordered, no optics were available for the XM-L).

3) I used 80 degree optics for my display tank lights. The added spread should help reduce shadowing. Also, if you read ReefLedLights.com's article on how to pick optics, they say that the 70 degrees actually have more par than the 60's, so the 80's can't be too bad.

-JB

7. ThyRaven

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ok so drop the XM-Ls and go straight XP-Gs. Now do I have to many LEDs? How big of a tank are your lights over? What driver can have like 2 or 3 sets of 12 LEDs on them? Right now with my current design I'd need like 8 of the drivers you are using on your frag tank.

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My display tank is a 6' 125. I will have 3 fixtures each with 36 LED's. 24 Royal Blue XP-E and 12 Cool White XP-G per fixture.

For the drivers, if you don't care about dimming, there are a number of drivers out there that will drive a bunch of strands. If you want dimming, the 60-48D is the best bet. It can drive several strings, but the more strings you put in parallel, the lower current you will have per string. I'm running all 24 blues on 1 driver, and I'm getting about 800mA per series.

-JB

9. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ledgroupbuy shorted me coolwhites but were very good in getting me replacements. Finally got everything in last week so I went to put together the fixture today, hmmmm that Star is flat .... Dang bad Led. So I emailed them and we will see what happens.
    So far my project has been cursed. I hope it goes better from here.

10. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That sucks. I've noticed a few very minor issues with the LED's from there, but nothing major like that. Hopefully you won't have to wait for the next group buy to get replacements...

11. violet21chewy Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines area
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I can't make the build this weekend but can you briefly explain parallel vs non parallel? I don't understand this part.

12. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Here is a basic description of Series vs Parallel Circuits:
    http://edwardcho-sph3u.blogspot.com/2010/09/what-is-difference-between-parallel.html
    LEDReefLights.com has a nice page on wiring that shows a simple "series" configuration as well as some parallel configurations:
    http://reefledlights.com/wiring-diagrams/
    -JB

13. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is an excellent thread JB, I'm looking forward to working on mine.

So lemme get this straight, using one Mean-Well D ballast you can run 24 XP-E's?

You gotta FTS now that you've got this thing put together?

14. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes, you can run 24 XP-E on a single 60-48D driver as long as they are in 2 series of 12 ran in parallel (I went in to more detail in your build thread).

And as a matter of fact, yes, I do have a FTS shot now. I just finished installing my LED's in my display tank tonight and I'm going to be posting the pics in a sec.

-JB

15. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so it took me all night, but I've got my LED's installed in my display tank.   The verdict:  LOVE THEM.    There is a very slight amount of banding towards the top of the tank, but it's not that noticeable unless you're looking for it.   The inside of the tank is definitely brighter, but there is less "light splash" outside of the tank than I had with my metal halides.   I believe that this is because the optics do a much better job of keeping of focusing the majority of the light inside the tank.
    Here's what the tank looked like with my old lighting: 3 x Phoenix 14K Metal Halide (250W)
    /Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/FTS-1.jpg
    Now here it is with the LED's installed and running at 100% power.  The overall color is VERY close to the 14K Phoenix look (which I love)
    /Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/FTS-3.jpg
    Here's all of the LED's running at 10% power (the lowest the drivers will go).   Looks great, even at low power, but definitely not as bright.
    /Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/FTS-2.jpg
    Here's just the Royal Blue XP-E's running at full power...   Talk about colors that POP! (my camera doesn't do it justice at all).
    /Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/FTS-4.jpg
    Now the Royal Blue's at low power
    /Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/FTS-7.jpg
    Cool White XP-G's running at full power
    /Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/FTS-5.jpg
    Cool white at low power
    /Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/FTS-6.jpg

16. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    JB, do you have access to a PAR meter? LEDs are WAY brighter than they look, so be very careful tuning them to their perceived brightness. The LEDs don't have the yellow or green wavelengths that "normal" lights do to make them seem bright, but those wavelengths are only fueling algae and heating the tank. As a rule of thumb, I've been told and read LEDs "look" half as bright as they actually are. Start slow!

17. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure that I believe that LED's are all that powerful.... There are probably a lot of factors involved (like the type of optics, etc). In any case, I'll be starting low and ramping up. I'll probably start at about 50% and ramp up to 75% over about a month.

18. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a question, I'm buidling a 120 60" x 18" x 24, I was thinking t-5's but after seeing your build to me it seems like the best long term route to take. I was looking at the led reef web site, didnt see many answers for a 60" tank. What do you think it would take to outfit a 60" tank? I know for sure two sets, but how many led's for each side? Would I want 2 drivers or go 3?

19. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Creynolds, I've been researching LED's pretty intensively for the last couple of days, I'm afraid in order to really figure out what you're doing you'll want to do the same. Start figuring out what Forward Voltage, Radiant Flux, and look at data sheets to figure out specral analysis and other specs on different types and colors of LED's.

I think on my 120 I should be able to get away with about 72 LED's all together, look back to see what JB is using but many people suggest using 2 blue's/1 white. Personally I am, and I'm using a mixture of different types of blues and different types of whites too.

In your 5 footer you might want to go with upwards of 96 LED's on two separate heat sinks, probably something like a 10x24" heat sink over each side of the tank. All together you will need something like 4 drivers if you are using Cree XP-E LED's or maybe more if you mix in some XP-G's. Hope this helps you get an idea.

These things are really expensive, but if you think about it long term it makes a whole lot of sense. Over 10 years I'll spend 1440 dollars just on annual replacement of metal halide bulbs, not to mention additional T5's I run and the initial cost of those ballasts/reflectors/etc. I might spend 900-1100 bucks now on LED's but they'll last about 10 years anyways before anything needs to be replaced. It will be interesting to see how well the drivers hold up long term.

JB, the PAR output of LED's are super high, so the potential for burning corals is certainly emminant. Over all they don't produce as many lumens, but of course this is because the energy is focused into discrete wave legnths optimized for PAR. I suppose I'm preaching to the choir, you had just said though that they weren't that bright, and I wanted to make sure everybody understand this distinction.

20. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Assuming you have a center brace, I'd go with 2 48 LED fixtures, each with 32 Royal Blue (XP-E), and 16 Cool White (XP-G or XM-L).   I'd put them on a 24" x 8.5" heat sink with 2" spacing between the LEDS (4 x 12 grid).   For optics, I'd go with 70 or 80 degree optics.   The drivers are a little more tricky with this configuration.   You could get away with 2 or 3 drivers per fixture, but I'd probably use 4 per fixture.  2 for the blues and 2 for the whites.   I would divide the LED's into series of 8.   For the blues, I would run 2 series of LED's in parallel per driver.   For the whites, I'd run a single series of 8 for each driver.   The reason for this is that the XP-G/XM-L can take a lot more current, and running them in parallel knocks down the current quite a bit.    This is only one of many possible configurations.   If you don't care about dimming, there are other options that would require fewer drivers.
    As Andy said, this will be expensive (probably around $500 per fixture) but that will be offset by a lower cost of ownership (no bulb replacements, lower electric bill, etc).