1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

JB`s LED Build Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Mar 29, 2011.

1. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    So, I built my own DIY breakout box and it only took three rebuilds to make it work.

I assume I am out of my league doing my own build, correct?

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Honestly no. They are REALLY super easy to build. In fact, if anyone wants a lesson in how to build them, I might be able to put together an impromptu "build party" at my house. My heatsinks are on backorder so it's going to be a couple weeks before I have all the parts, but I'd be more than happy to walk people through the process if they want.

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    BTW, the dimming circuit above (which is by far the toughest part) is NOT required for the build if you have an Apex.

4. Killernights

Killernights Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im getting rdy to build my own and i was wondering how much heat ur build made? i have a 10"x12" heatsink with 2.5" tall fins and im trying to figure out how many i  can get on it

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I haven't been monitoring the heat situation that closely, but I've never felt the fixture get warm at all. However, I'm only running the XM-L's at 60% power right now. If I turned them up full blast for an extended period, I'm guessing they would get warm.

With a 10 x 12, you do 30 LED's with the 2" spacing that I used, though I bet you'd have no problem with 36. I believe the recommended minimum spacing between LED stars is 1"

6. Killernights

Killernights Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok thanx, i didnt know if i could get more since i have the taller finned heatsink

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    By the way. I can't emphasize enough how good the customer service is from ReefLEDlights.com. If anyone wants a one-stop shop where everything you need is available, check them out.

8. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I am interested in the build party. Even if I am the only one attending I would like to see what I might be getting myself into.

9. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    JB, what was involved in the dimming cable from the APex?? Just pinning out a CAT5?
    Oh, and where did you find the 9 conductor wire?

10. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it's just a normal RJ-45 cable end, so you can use Cat-5 if you want. I decided to go the route that Neptune uses (or at least used to use) for their own cables and used normal phone cord type wire instead. You can put two phone cord wires into an end and run one wire to each driver...

The link to the 9 conductor wire is posted with the picture a little further back in this thread...

-JB

11. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ah missed the link on the wire.
    What are the pinouts for the Apex cable? I don't see that on ReefLED?
    Finally got the rest of my stuff ordered today. Dead tradeshow so I got it done.

12. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Here's the link for the Apex stuff including the DIY cable:
    http://reefledlights.com/neptun-apex-setup-programing/
    It's pretty easy though:
    P1: 1-Pos
    P2: 1-Neg
    P3:
    P4:
    P5: 2-Pos
    P6: 2-Neg
    P7:
    P8:
    I still need to order another thing of the street wire for my display tank build.   Thanks for the reminder... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif
    -JB

13. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    FYI, ledgroupbuy.com now has optics available for the XM-L LEDs.

14. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any pics of the final product. I have been looking into DIY LED lights. Just woundering what it looks like when all done

15. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I haven't been able to get any good pics of it over my frag tank. My crappy little point & shoot camera just can't do it justice.

You're welcome to stop by and check it out sometime Troy...

16. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I have almost all of the parts two build three more fixtures... Just waiting on some Cool White XP-G's (should show up tomorrow) and some fans (from China so who knows)....

A few people had mentioned that they would like to come over and walk through the process of building these lights. I'm more than willing to do that, but it's probably going to have to be sooner rather than later because I'm not going to be able to resist the urge to get these over my display tank ASAP.

I could maybe do it this weekend (assuming the parts are all here) or next weekend.

Is anyone still interested?

-JB

17. kmcgill88

kmcgill88 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm more than interested however I have obligations both weekends!!! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/sad.gif If you decide to do it during the week I'm there!! I'm still leaning LED for my first tank but havn't pulled the trigger on anything yet.

18. MXC207 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Im game as long as nothing comes up!

19. gravattj

gravattj Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    do you plan to use thermal adhesive or go the grease+screws route?

20. gravattj

gravattj Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    what did you use to attach your lenses?