1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

January Local Meeting...

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by ZLTFUL, Jan 2, 2008.

1. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know a club-wide event is planned for the 19th but I was curious if folks from the DSM wanted to do a get-together. Maybe meet up somewhere like a restaurant?
    Perhaps midweek and in town so those who live outside of Des Moines or aren't really rowdy reefers can join in the fun?
    I would like to volunteer my tank for the first or last visit on the impromptu tank tour of the meeting...
    Ryan #3

2. nielsen2773

nielsen2773 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thats sounds good let me know when and where??If we didi it on a weekend or friday night I would volunteer my tank.School night dont really work well for me to bring a bunch of people over.My parents get mad HA HA HA HA!

Ryan #2

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm still planning on a local get-together this month.
    My thoughts on the DM monthly meeting:
    Planning on a Friday night so that anyone that works in town but lives well out of town can easily make it. Would like to start at a restaurant. I think it'd be useful to set a time and time limit, and if anyone wants to make it a late night, that's up to them (or us!), but I don't want the Des Moines monthly get-togethers to become synonymous with a bar crawl for the sake of anyone not comfortable with the sorts of shenanigans involved in the December meeting, which was quite awesome I might add.
    Would a Friday dinner work for everybody? Does anyone have a preference on a particular day this month? I'm not sure of my schedule but could check it out tomorrow.
    Ryan #not 2 or 3

4. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm kinda afraid to post in this thread since my name isn't Ryan...

Most Friday's work for me - in fact tomorrow or next friday work great, and the next two would work, but I have events the next day so if there were shenanigans I might not participate...

5. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That sounds good, maybe i can get a sitter this time and bring the "BOSS" i know she would have a good time.

6. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    dang I work most friday nights....

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If it's any consolation, the last meeting unofficially lasted until 2 a.m., so unless you work in a bar...

Do you know of any fridays you're not working? Take advantage of the "Does anyone have a preference on a particular day this month?" portion of my last message. I work most Fridays as well and may not be able to make it either.

Not every meeting will be on a Friday. The last one was on a saturday, and I know a couple people can't make it on weekends, so I figure we should not rely on weekends. However, I do know that several of us enjoy the benefits of doing things on weekends, so for now it's the best of both worlds.

I will look at my own schedule tomorrow and suggest a date or dates, please feel free to do the same.

8. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wayne - significant others should always come when possible - especially when they're closet fish nerds [​IMG] and I actually might have some coral in my tank (wayne, you got PM), plus I've not seen some of the other DM area members tanks at all (Ryan #2, acidlittle, others)

9. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    we should do it sunday the 27th, have it start in ames and everybody can come to my house.....put a bunch of boxes in their cars.....and move it all up to des moines to my new place, then we could do the tour...lol

If you didn't catch that I'm moving that weekend, I'm available most week nights, and some weekends, next weekend i'm closing friday sat and sunday so i would miss the main portion of the meeting/tour.
    My schedule is always changing so just plan one and I'll pull some strings to try and attend!

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone not ok with this coming friday? Too soon?

11. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm cool with it.

12. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm in!

Regardless of when we do it where are we gonna meet? Does downtown work the best for everyone? or should we move things to the west side this time? or somewhere in the middle (along Ingersoll or University?)

13. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can't this time. I have a Nephew's b-day party. But that's cool, i'll make it next month.

14. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I would like to but i'm out as well, gotta bring home the bacon at work....

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well of those so far committed, downtown looks to work well. Somebody pick somewhere to eat before I do it!

16. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A bunch of my work friends are gonna be at high life/bait shop after work - so that's where I'm gonna be until whenever everyone else makes their way downtown. I'm fine with eating either place as they both have good food and both are pretty cheap - but the high life does get pretty smokey if there's anyone there so I could understand if the nonsmokers (nondrinkers?) don't want to eat there.

I also really like spaghetti works, decent amount of food choices (all you can eat spaghetti/pasta, pizza, salad bar) and it's not that expensive, plus it's not of a bar setting if anyone prefers that.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Am I incorrect in seeing that we only have three people able to make it? I'm thinking maybe plan it two weekends from tomorrow and hope more people can make it.

Sorry it was really on short notice, I dropped the ball on this one.

18. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree - if it's only the 3 of us I think we should move it so more people can attend...and I think 2 weekends would be better since the GIRS meeting is next weekend.

19. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Even though we're moving the "official" January meeting - I'll still be at the high life/bait shop with people from work starting between 4:30 - 5 if anyone feels like throwing back a few you're welcome to come down, just post here so I'll know to be on the lookout (if I haven't already met you)