1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

[Jan 20, 2018] Annual GIRS Business Meeting & Holiday Party (Williamsburg, IA)

Discussion in '2018' started by Bud, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    ************ Please note that the time for the Holiday party has been changed to 6:00 pm to 8:00/8:30 pm. ********************

Every year, we hold the Annual Business Meeting of the Greater Iowa Reef Society near the beginning of the year.

We're going to do something a little different this year!

Immediately following the Business Meeting, we are going to host a Holiday Party - with food and prizes - open to all hobbyists, member and non-members!

The meeting & party will be held at the Ramada Williamsburg Hotel & Wasserbahn Waterpark - the same place Fall Fest was held. We also will have a block of rooms available at the reduced rate of $99, which includes 4 waterpark passes - bring the family!!

Business Meeting: 4-6 PM
    This is the meeting where we review the previous year and lay out the upcoming year plans.

You must be a dues-paying GIRS Member in order to attend, and attendance & participation is greatly encouraged!

All-Hobbyist GIRS Holiday Party: 6:00-8:00/8:30 pm
    Again, this is open to all aquarium hobbyists! There will be food provided by GIRS, and the hotel has a cash bar.

Food will be pizza, garlic bread & gondolas from Zio Johno's in Iowa City!! Huge thanks to @Chief Reef for hooking us up!

There will be door prizes and other giveaways to be announced, and everyone can enter the contest to win the Grand Prize - an MP10!

You can enter up to three times to win the MP10 by doing the following:

Entry #1: Post in this thread if you are going to attend the party (or will try to attend). You can also select "Going" or "Maybe" using the RVSP link right above this post:

[​IMG]

Entry #2: Facebook (2 parts to this one). Join the Greater Iowa Reef Society Facebook Group

**AND** Mark "Going" or "Interested" on the Facebook Event and then SHARE it as Public Post on your personal timeline

Entry #3: Become a GIRS Member. If you are already a GIRS member, extend your membership another year (find the "Extend Upgrade" button under your Account Upgrades). You can also do this at the event!

Entries will be collected through January 19th and announced at the GIRS Holiday Party.

Make sure you are "watching" this thread for all the updates! We will be posting more information and prizes as everything gets finalized!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I'm going!!

3. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    Me too

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Going! Room! Drinks! Hottub! I may even bring some cookies.

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I am definitely going to use the hot tub this time. I didn’t get to at Fall Fest!!

6. Bboge13 Pico Reef Keeper

Center Point, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I plan on going as long as nothing comes up between now and then.

7. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I should be able to make this one.

Is there anything special to get the room rate, or just call and say you are with The Greater Iowa Reef Society event?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  8. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Just say you are with GIRS

9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    They don’t have the block set up yet, but that is what you should ask for when they do. They should be able to give you the block rate after the fact, but the simplest thing would be to wait until it’s set up (should be done later this week)

10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    The room block is now set up under "Greater Iowa Reef Society" or "GIRS" (either one will work)

If you already made a reservation, make sure to call them and get on the room block rate. They will hold the block until January 13th but I believe you can still get the rate up until the date as long as rooms are still available.

11. Chlora Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Stronghurst, IL
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I plan on coming providing Roger and Cindy Carter are still going for me to ride along with them.

12. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    I’m planning on going.

13. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    I am planning on it. Keeping my fingers crossed!

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    We definitely need to know if you are planning on coming to either the Business Meeting OR the Holiday Party OR both!! And who else you might be bringing along!

We need to get a pretty firm handle on potential attendance so that we can order the right amount of food. It's very important that you RSVP to this event!!

I'm sending out a bulk mailer to this effect today, and will probably do that again over the weekend.

15. Kendall Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Dike, IA
    Ratings:
    +43 / 1 / -0
    I’ll be there!

16. yankieman Well-Known ReefKeeper

Monmouth, IL
    Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I plan on attending,
    and Chlora will too for both

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  17. Tadpole GIRS Member

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0
    I'm going

18. Tadpole GIRS Member

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0
    Bringing my wife and boy with me

19. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    We've made a slight change to the schedule tomorrow:

Business Meeting will still be from 4-6pm
    Holiday Party will start at 6pm instead of 6:30 and will go until about 8 or 8:30 (instead of 6:30-midnight)

That doesn't mean you can't stay longer, the hotel bar is open late! We're just going to wrap up things in the meeting room a bit earlier as we have to do our own clean-up, and many people are not staying much past 8 or 9.

20. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Don't forget about the MP10 contest! This is for an Ecotech MP10WQD!

See the first post for all 3 ways to enter!

Other Door Prizes include:
    A variety of BRS Supplements & Media, Coral Rx, Finnex Heater, Chemiclean, Heater, Hanna Alkalinity Meter, GIRS DIY Food, & Hikari pellet food! There will be enough for everyone who attends to get something for sure!