1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

It`s a miracle!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adampottebaum, Aug 19, 2009.

1. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I left for the Blink 182 Concert in Council Bluffs on Saturday morning and didn't come back until today, and none of my corals were knocked over! I was soo happy, everything's looking good, and I even notice a little growth in some of my sps's. I recently removed all the hermits from my tank because they were continuously knocking them over no matter how secure I thought they were, so I think that did the trick!
    The reason I removed them was because in every book or magazine article written by an "expert," they always say how bad hermits are in reef tanks. They are oppertunistic feeders and simply eat all the good things in the sand bed, doing more harm than good. In some cases they are good at cleaning up hair algae(I never get H.A.) and leftover food, but snails do that and clean the glass without any destruction. For people with a lot of hermits, it's worth looking more into and seeing if they are really worth it!
    Adam

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was just listening to Reefcast Episode 31 today and they mentioned that when putting in crabs, get the smallest ones that you can as they will do a better job of cleaning up what you want them to and less likely to go after your corals.

--AJ

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why don't you epoxy your corals down if you have troubles with them falling over?

4. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what are you talking about adam,hermit crabs are great!!!,my mantis shrimp loves them!!! lol. if anyone in the waterloo-cedarfalls area has any they don't want anymore,my mantis would be more than happy to take them off your hands.

5. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Mostly because I move every year for school, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep my rockwork like it is, so it sucks having the corals permenantly attatched, but also because I'm lazy. If I have any more problems I'll just epoxy them. Can I use this Perma Epoxy I still have, or would I have to buy an expensive "reef safe" tube? It's a 5 min. epoxy that's used for underwater.

6. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Sorry Dan, I meant to click the quote button and I wasn't paying attention and deleted your post, woops.

wolfman1973 Posted:08/20/2009 09:50 AM Subject: RE: It's a miracle!

what are you talking about adam,hermit crabs are great!!!,my mantis shrimp loves them!!! lol. if anyone in the waterloo-cedarfalls area has any they don't want anymore,my mantis would be more than happy to take them off your hands.

Yea I have about 5-10 in my sump right now you can have. Feel free to stop over anytime I'm home...

7. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i will get a hold of you or let me know if sometime sunday or early next week works for you

8. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Cool, get out the video camera!

9. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I work 11-7 sunday and every day that next week til 10...