1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

is my bulb broke?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snowman82, Feb 28, 2009.

1. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i noticed some wierd sounds coming from this bulb then looked and saw some arching from it and the socket. it will light still but archs here is a pic of where it was arching
    [​IMG]

2. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wouldnt risk it...
    Looks broken or even defective to me.

Replace ASAP!

eins

3. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I would say it is defective and a possable fire hazard!!

I would pitch it !!!

4. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hmm, i wonder why it would of all the suddenly done that? neither ballast or bulb are new

5. Luukosian

Luukosian

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Lucky you caught it before it started a fire.

6. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oh I agree, if it is arching it is a major fire hazard! Maybe try seeing if you can get it replaces for free?

7. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i doubt that, i bought the whole setup used and have no reciept on the bulb, have been running the bulb problem free for a month now /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

8. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dont risk starting something on fire just remember to recyle the bulb dont just throw those away.

9. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good point, the bulb contains mercury.

info:

Ice cap is paying for the shipping & recycling of Metal Halide bulbs.

Did you know that 1 metal halide bulb has enough mercury to contaminate 2,000 gallons of water.

In America, one-in-six children born every year have been exposed to mercury levels so high that they are potentially at risk for learning disabilities, motor skill impairment and short-term memory loss.

Please save your MH bulbs when done with them & we will collect them at club events for recyling.

Currenty they are not accepting T-5 or other bulbs. They would like to expand the program in the future to include these bulbs as they also have mercury in them.

10. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Man I didn't know all that thanks for the info I'll be sure to recycle my bulbs!!

-Bill

11. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah i still got my bulb sitting here, have thought about getting ahold of hamilton to see if they could atleast tell me how it happened, luckily i had an extra bulb...but now i'm without a spare and broke, hope another don't go out haha