1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Is it worth $20 a year to be a GIRS member?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Jan 17, 2009.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Several times over the past few weeks, I've heard people state or imply that the $20 membership fee for GIRS doesn't really get you anything.   I don't think this is true, especially in a hobby like this where EVERYTHING costs money.
    Here's few ways you might get your money back...
    1) Admission to GIRS events.   Sometimes members save $5 or so on events where we charge admission.
    2) Free stuff at events.   GIRS members often get free raffle tickets or food at our events. 
    3) Free or discounted stuff from other Members.   Many club members like myself value the club and provide free or discounted stuff (frags, etc) to other members.
    4) Access to this website:  Yes, everyone has access to most of the content on the website, member or not, but by paying your membership dues, you are helping us pay for hosting and software upgrades so that we can provide the best site possible for the club.   I know that there are many many people who use this site every day even if it's just for the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.
    5) Meeting friends in the hobby.   I know that I have personally met many good friends through this club and I depend on their advice and help to make my tank be the best that it can be.   Yes, there are huge websites out there with tons of information, but I believe there is something to be said for "localism".
    So...   The next time you are in a LFS or looking through a hobby catalog, take a look at the prices and then think about your $20 GIRS membership.   Which $20 gives you the most for your money?
    I bring this up now because later this weekend the GIRS board will be meeting to talk about the budget for this year and there are a TON of people who's dues have expired or will expire this month.   We need people to pay their dues so we have the money to run the club and put on good events (locally and club wide).   What I really don't want to see us have to do is start locking things down both on the website and at our events.   I would much rather have people believe that the club is a good enough value without having to be coereced to join.
    I would love to hear other thoughts on this from both club members and non-club members.
    If you are a club member, what value has being a member brought you?   What could we have done better over the coarse of your membership?
    If you are not a club member, what can we do to make it worth your while to join?
    Thanks
    -JB

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    YES!

I just renewed mine last week. 4 year member now.

Best $80 in this hobby I have spent.

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Heck, I probably eat close to $20 worth of FREE pizza at the pizza parties we have every year. This is my 4th year as well it is was well worth every cent.

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Not to mention the free/cheap sand, fish, & corals other members hook you up with.

5. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have gained many things by becoming a member.

The first and foremost is personal experience of other members and actually seeing tanks in person that wasn't in a store.

I'm sure everyone in the club has received "goodies" and great deals from others' tanks. Over 90% of my tank is from other members. Thanks to all those generous people and I'm hoping to do the same to the new members soon. By the way JB, that birds nest has about 20 points now and still growing.

With GIRS growing, we have many members that excel at different parts of this hobby. Rick is becoming our DIY guru and bringing a whole new level to the club with his knowledge.

As a whole, this club is filled with great people that make attending events and socials enjoyable. I have a had a great time at every event I've gone too and was well worth the drive each time.

6. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree, I've checked out RC and other sights but they just don't compare to what we have here.
    Being able to see other peoples tanks and seeing what they have done, hearing the mistakes, and the try-umps people have accomplished in this hobby.  Is inspiring and goes way beyond any $20 fees!

7. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it's money well spent,hell it will be the only bill i look forward to paying!!!!!!!!!!

8. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All the help and knowledge is well worth the $20, seems all the members are willing to 'hook' you up and/or help you out. Its great to see people face to face and talk about the experiences and learn from them this isn't an easy hobby, its not cheap and you can make expensive mistakes and I have found without this board and help I wouldn't have the knowledge that I do now and keep things up and going as they are now. All is much more friendly on the smaller forums like this vs RC or SWF.

9. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been in the hobby for about 3 years now, but only been a member for a year. I will say with out a doubt learned more, made advancements, and just in general better at the hobby, in the past year then the first two combined.

10. champ23

champ23 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll be the first to admit I was questioning how much I would get back when I payed the $20 for the membership. I've been a member now for a little over 3 months and have made plenty more than $20 back already easily. Best $20 I've spent.

11. JByrd

JByrd

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To me the $20 is well worth it, been a member for almost a year now. I have been able to save more than $20 by being a member and getting some frags just one time (thanks Bill). I would love to be able to participate more in the club but being located were I am I have not been able to as of yet. The help on questions I have had has been excellent and I hope have helped others also. To me its one of those things the more you invest in it the more you get out of it. Just knowing I am a part of this club with all the other great members it well worth it.

12. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    *Self Moderated*
    Great investment for someone looking to connect with like minded hobbyists. Personal sentiments aside.