1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

IPod Vs. MP3 Player

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Waverz, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I am going to get my wife some sort of portable music device for x-mas and am kind of up in the air on what to buy her.  I really don't like apple products so i don;t want to get an IPod but they are pretty smooth.  The other option is a portable MP3 player but it lacks the screen and lots of the neat features of the IPod Nano.
    Idealy it comes to ease of use, she needs to be able to easily x-fer songs onto the unit, being i don;t have much experience with either device it's hard for me to decide.  I know the IPod uses ITunes as an interface software but will she be able to just drag and drop mp3's i already have using it?
    What do you guys think?

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'd go with the IPod. I hate Apple computers, but they do make a damn fine MP3 player. If your wife isn't really computer savy, then the Ipod is defintely the way to go. The Ipod/Itunes integration could not be simpler. I got an Ipod for my wife a couple years ago and she absolutely loves it. They also have the best accessories since they have such a large market share everyone makes stuff for the IPod.

-JB

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i would get an ipod... ive had like 35 mp3 players and the ipod has been the best. mostly its just easier to use, otherwise there is the zune which ive also had andi thought it was awesome its just a little harder to use and its bigger but its 30 gb and its on sale at walmart right now for like 99 bucks.

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Just found a refurbished 4gb nano with the FM transmitter and free shipping for $124.

Seems like a pretty good deal.

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Is that the old style nano or one of the newer ones?

-JB

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    New styleee woot woot!
    Posted By jbrunken on 11/23/2007 12:05 PM
    Is that the old style nano or one of the newer ones?

-JB

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sweet! The newer ones are a lot nicer.

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I just hope she can figure it out....LOL
    Right now she just plays cds at work on her portable cd player, she goes through a few dollars in batteries in that thing a week, so i figure anything thats rechargable is gonna pay for itself if it lasts long enough.

9. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You know they make rechargable batteries right? /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif If she wants one that's smaller check out the ipod shuffle. They only hold 1 gig though but they are WAY small!

10. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yeah but have you ever used rechargable batteries on a daily basis? They aren't that great. Even the the lithium ones i use in my camera's suck after awhile. I've been looking at the shuffle, but i really like the lcd screen on the nano. It'll be great for baby pictures.

11. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I just bought my wife the 8gb ipod nano.

I got the 8gb because the new nano can show video and 4gb isn't much space if you want to listen to music and watch video. So I put some movies on it for her to watch on the airplane.

I hate itunes though. I downloaded an alternate program to use because the itunes interface sucks!

12. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    IPod for sure. I don't even own one and after borrowing both a friends Nano for a trip and his IPod original w/video for another trip, the ease of use and quality of the product is worth it. I too hate Apple (unless I am doing some serious graphics rendering) but they have the market nailed on great music players.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My vote would have gone to the Sony PSP
    i bought one for myself a while back and im a pretty huge gamer
    also im a total computer nerd and tech junkie
    The sony psp is one of the few things i own that still amazes me to this day.  The things that it can do are endless
    It has gotten tot he point that i dont even use the pro duo memory sticks anymore i carry around a modified portable hard drive to store all me stuffs on music movies games and the like ya know.
    Also one of the coolest features is that if im in panera or wherever having a cup of coffee I can get ont eh web and read emails and such or check ebay or do whatever the hell i want to it has a full web browser.  Only thing I havent had time to modify yet is a qwerty keyboard for it cause the text interface is worthless but it does the job. 
    But since oyu already bought a ipod i guess your SOL
    Joe

14. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My wife can barely send an email, she doesn't play games AT ALL, so i think for her a Ipod is a better choice.
    Posted By faylor on 11/29/2007 9:04 PM
    My vote would have gone to the Sony PSP
    i bought one for myself a while back and im a pretty huge gamer
    also im a total computer nerd and tech junkie
    The sony psp is one of the few things i own that still amazes me to this day.  The things that it can do are endless
    It has gotten tot he point that i dont even use the pro duo memory sticks anymore i carry around a modified portable hard drive to store all me stuffs on music movies games and the like ya know.
    Also one of the coolest features is that if im in panera or wherever having a cup of coffee I can get ont eh web and read emails and such or check ebay or do whatever the hell i want to it has a full web browser.  Only thing I havent had time to modify yet is a qwerty keyboard for it cause the text interface is worthless but it does the job. 
    But since oyu already bought a ipod i guess your SOL
    Joe