1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Iowa Pet Foods and Seascapes Tank Explodes!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FlyingMoray, Dec 2, 2010.

1. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Tim, now is the perfect opportunity to get the volcano! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/biggrin.gif

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    the the volcano?

3. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I fixed it. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif It should've read "get the volcano!"

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    What is the volcano? Would that be next to the old shark pool, cascading down into it, and lit up red? Just a guess, but that would kick @$$

5. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's a skimmer that would be big enough to handle the tank.  It would easily outwork the 3 skimmers Scott was going to put on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2021
  6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I think my idea is cooler.

7. IASeascapes

IASeascapes Inactive User Vendor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah not sure what ewe're gonna do yet for skimmers now lol.....and jim limping mostly because i'm a gimp and a wuss lol

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Howdy, I feel bad for you, man what a thing to happen, I am very glad it wasnt a glass tank - someone could have really gotten hurt.  I am not sure if you are aware, but that tank can be pretty easily repaired, and when repaired it would be stronger then the original. If your not going to fix it- I would be interested in buying the "remains".

9. IrishStock

IrishStock Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Saw the tank today and heard the story. Whew...not sure I would ever be comfortable filling another one again. Bigger is not always better. The one that is established is pretty cool. Frag the hell out of it and forget going bigger.

10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I have a hard time believing that tank can be repaired to the point of feeling comfortably safe filling it again!  My dad work with acrylic, so I know the bonding process is very strong, but still, it's holding 1500 gallons and broke once, I wouldn't touch that tank with a 10 foot pole man!

11. IASeascapes

IASeascapes Inactive User Vendor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    GUARANTEED this tank as it sits will most likely never be able to hld water again. The bottom piece broke, nothing in the seals. This is a acrylic stress point shatter which means the bottom would do it again. Either way it's going to be recycled probably as it's possibly worth something...

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I just heard from the staff that insurance covered the total cost of a new replacement tank. 8 weeks out minimum!