1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Iowa Pet Foods and Seascapes Tank Explodes!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FlyingMoray, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Matt

Matt Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im guessing Tim had the agility of a cat to get out of the way!

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    I just found this thread...posted other pics.

Why don't you use a Flip video or your cell phone and record the playback? I'll be in tomorrow and give it a shot. Plus I want to see it!!

3. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad to see that you're able to laugh at the whole ordeal, I can relate. I mean this is a massive blow out and a ton of damage compared to my troubles, but I recently fell in the ocean while out east and screwed up my Nikon D90, lost a $100 pair of sunglasses and fried my blackberry. It really really sucks, especially since I'm so broke right now, but all considered.......it was still pretty funny!
    regards,
    Andy Long

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Here are the pics I posted in the other thread, before I saw this one...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh man. Best of luck with everything. If there is somehow anything we can do to help let us know.

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Just so y'all know, I'm going to stop in when the store opens today and watch the video, and see if I can record it on my camera. Then I have to figure out how to upload to YouTube, if that's OK!!

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Sorry folks, there will be no video available anytime soon, at least until everything with insurance is taken care of. Just talked to Tim and he said he was not aware pics were being posted online, and he asked me to take them off. I requested my pics be removed...I'm still going in there today over my lunch hour to watch the video though!!!

8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Well, I just got a message from Tim that it is OK to keep the pics on. I noticed that they have already been deleted off this thread and my other one (all the pics, including the shot of the tank before it was on the stand!) So I'll post them here again...

Before the disaster:

The aftermath

9. FlyingMoray Experienced Reefkeeper

Minburn, IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well he was aware of the picture I posted as he was the one that sent it to me and told me to post it. Haha

10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Ok Joel, don't delete these this time!!

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and Tim said today that they will probably post the video in a week or so. I couldn't watch it today. They would have to take the system off-line to watch it or something, plus they were eating lunch. And folding about 80 towels.

11. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    tank video on Chanel 13 news at 6:00

12. IASeascapes

IASeascapes Inactive User Vendor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://www.whotv.com/news/who-story-aquarium-bursts-120310,0,643901.story

13. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +396 / 6 / -0
    Wow that is insane!!! Lucky no one got hurt.

14. IrishStock

IrishStock Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is just INSANE. I got instantly sick to my stomach when I read the subject of this thread.

15. IrishStock

IrishStock Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Please say you hadn't dumped all the salt in yet.

16. IrishStock

IrishStock Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Please say you hadn't dumped all the salt in yet.

17. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    man, such a beautiful huge tank too!!!! Has the manufacturer been contacted? Are they going to replace it?

18. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    No, it was a FW test fill.

19. IASeascapes

IASeascapes Inactive User Vendor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Replacement tank will take 6-8 weeks to be built/arrive. Salt had not been added yet.....we were to do that about 30 minutes from when it popped..... Now we must replace the sump, bio tower, skimmers, pumps, uv's, pretty much everything behind it as it was smashed/slashed/slammed/soaked/etc... Going to be yet another long process to complete. The worst part is all the work Scott put into it building the rockwork and the plumbing. I'm sure he will enjoy doing it again.......HA lol

20. iaJim

iaJim Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How is the store, and why were you limping Tim?