1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Iowa City/Des Moines fish stores?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Newbeme, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Newbeme

Newbeme Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to be out in the Iowa City area and Des Moines area and was wondering what is a list of good fish stores in those areas? I'm basically making a road trip out of checking out fish stores.
    I know Sea of Marvels is one. What about Coralville Bay? I heard they moved after the flood to 2060 Holiday Rd, any truth to that? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i too am making a road trip looking at fishstores saturday, goin the IC/north liberty, then cedar rapids to pick up a fish.

3. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Coralville bay is opening a new store across from some baseball fields. I don't know if he is open yet. Petland on lower muscatine has some nice stuff too.

4. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Try Pet's Playhouse in Cedar Rapids.....it's worth the trip.

5. Newbeme

Newbeme Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pet's Playhouse is awesome. That is where I got most of my start up stuff from. I'm trying to stay mainly around the I-80 corridor.

6. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sea of Marvels in North Liberty-nice fish selection and nice owner
    Petland on the eastside of Iowa City-good selections of fish/inverts and sometimes coral (pricey)
    Petco in Coralville-they carry sw fish and supplies, but pricey. Right off of 80
    Pet's Playhouse in Cedar Rapids
    Bobo's fish store, they just moved, not sure of the location, in Cedar Rapids somewhere
    Aquatic Environments in Davenport (?) AWESOME store, well worth the trip if you have the time.

Just look in the sponors section or the local pet/lfs directory up top

7. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    If you are roadtripping....

IMO there are really TWO stops that are REQUIRED

1. Sea of Marvels
    2. Aquatic Environments

AE is a little further away, but super easy to find off I-80, and really, it is only like 45 minutes from IC.

After that I would go to all the other places mentioned.

8. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You're really going to recommend Petco as a fish stop?!?! That place is horrible. The tanks are covered in algae and when I was in there yesterday to get some ammolock, I saw 2 of their fish covered in Ich (Foxface and a Niger Trigger). Coralville Bay is reopening?! That's pretty cool. I'll have to stop by and see how he's doing. I wonder how much he lost in the flood.

9. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not recommending, just listing a store that sells sw fish and supplies that is local.  Maybe they need some supply that isn't at another place who knows, and you are shopping there for some fish items, so they must have something worth buying, right?

10. Newbeme

Newbeme Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the recommendations. The main store I shop at is AE in Davenport since I'm 30 minutes north of there. I got a lot of my starter stuff at Pets Playhouse, but it is quite the trip unless I have other things to do while in CR.

11. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well he posted about wanting to buy livestock, so I figured you were recommending Petco for fish.

Hung (Sea of Marvels) said he has a fish shipment coming in Fri or Sat. So there will be a lot of new stuff there to look at!

12. Jfalcons

Jfalcons

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In Des Moines there is Adams Aquatics at 857 42nd st. Its just north of I235. Its a nice store too. lots of coral.

13. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    there is also Iowa Pet foods on 22nd st in west desmoines, by Hooters :) they have some nice stuff, but been noticing dead fish quite often there. they have a nice big overflow top view tank and a shark tank too. i just like goin in there to look :)

14. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I feel bad we didn't mention Bo Bo's in CR.

I have never been there though. I suck.

15. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    BoBo's is in the process of moving and until we hear from Gary saying that he's back open again, I wouldn't point anyone in that direction for fear that they would be wasting their time. 

--Aaron