1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Marcalo, May 20, 2009.

1. Marcalo

Marcalo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    1) Tell us a little bit about yourself.
    Well, for starters I am an "everything" person doesn't matter what it is I can do it. I am very good with fabrication from Idea to blueprints to construction. I have been fabricating for over 10 years mostly structural steel. I am currently in college for Network Administration I build computers as another hobby as well.  I have also been a member of the U.S. Army Reserve for 5 years now and I enjoy helping. Having read over 10,000 posts online prior to and during my first year of running a reef I am a wealth of knowledge and love to share. 
    2) Tell us a little bit about your tank(s). Don't worry if you're just getting started, we were all there once.
    My tank is a 55 gal. it has been up and running for 5 years. The contents are a green mandarin,  Maroon clown, blue damsel, fire fish and 1 unknown. Inverts are assorted mushrooms (about 40 now started with 3) Yellow polyps and 1 arrow crab. and 70 lbs of Fiji Live Rock. My tank currently has a huge bristle worm problem I had acquired 50 lbs of LR from someone that was moving and I just didn't know they were there sad for me yes but oh well at least it's not dead rock now That's also how I got the unknown fish someday I will look it up but for now it's fun when people ask "What kind of fish is that?" and of course "I have no idea!"

2. rockinsmall

rockinsmall Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lets get a pict of the mystery fish... and welcome to the community...

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS.

Some people (myself included) would argue that bristle works are a natural and important part of a reef tank. I'm glad I have them in my tank!

-JB

4. Marcalo

Marcalo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree they are good but I want to thin them out and keep them in check rather then let them overrun my tank.

5. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why?  They basically just show themselves at night and pop out for a few seconds when you feed the fish, so what's the problem with them?  Why do you think you have too many?  They're basically the earthworm of marine tanks, fairly harmless unless you touch them.  They just eat detritus and uneaten food, so if you think you have too many, reduce the food available to them, i.e. keep a cleaner tank and make sure food gets eaten.  Honestly, I don't think they're a problem though.