1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Turbo's Aquatics, Sep 3, 2015.

1. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I don't have the new version, I have the L2 Rev3. I really like it. I used to run bio pellets and gfo and a way over rated skimmer to keep nutrients in check.
    I want to try something a lot more simple an natural. So I bought the scrubber and slowly weaned my system off of the pellets and go.

My tank is a 120 with about 90 lbs of rock in the display with a shallow sand bed. I have a u0 gallon stock tank in the basement for a sump with an sro5000 skimmer, L2 scrubber and about 60 lbs of rock. I run filter socks and carbon in a reactor. There is also a 40b frag tank hooked to this sump also. I have 13 fish in the system and a bunch of various inverts for cuc.
    I feed 3 times a day. Pellets on an automatic feeder 2 times a day and 1.5 cubes of frozen a day.
    My corals are all SPS.
    I didn't think the scrubber could handle the load with just the skimmer but I was wrong. I clean it every 2-3 weeks and my po4 stays below .03 and I have to dose nitrates to keep them around 1 or 2.
    I would like this new version because I really like the dimming led and removable growth chamber but what I have is dialed in and working awesome so why fix it .
    I have tried the Santa Monica up flow scrubber on a different tank and didn't have that good of results.
    So in my experience the turbo algae scrubber is with the money based on the results I have had.

2. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yup I sent him that for display at MACNA and told him to keep it, he's already worked on a few ways to mount it to their sumps, if you look at his R2R thread starting here The Synergy Reef v2 Official build - 48" x 36" x 30" you can see the custom bracket he made for that one

That's a great review, thanks for sharing it!! I have people using the Rev 1 and they are perfectly happy with that version for the same reason - it works!

3. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    It does work. It works great!
    I really like the looks of the removable growth chamber on the rev4 looks like that makes maintaining it easy. Awesome design. YouTube videos are great too.