1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Intro, Questions, Thank you`s

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Guest, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all,

My name is Brian, and I am a student at UNI.

Have kept plenty of fresh, and most notably brackish Green Spot Puffers.

Started a 30 gallon reef round January. Contents include Ocellaris, Six Line, Fire Fish, Hermits, Turbos, Watchman and Pistol Shrimp. and a small zoa frag (getting a bunch at swap)

Please forgive the bio load, i dilligently change the water, and watch levels. QUESTIONS 1.) I have certain types of bubble and hair algae that grow during the day but then are wiped out by the morning. the algae never has a chance to get big. I have observed many small slug like things, small snails, pods, bristleworms, on the rocks at night munching on all of it. Is this pattern desirable? normal? 2) What is the best feeding schedule for the tanks inhabitants? right now im alternating daily between formula one and cyclopeeze (frozen). I'm not even sure on quantities, i just feed what is munched in five mins. (newb. 3) A few pieces of my rock came w/ orange encrusting sponge, which seems to be dying off, how do i care for this stuff?

THANK YOU's, to Xroads,and waverz for the wonderful LR, (loaded w/ critters, feathers, sponges, you guys were both great w/ my questions too.

EQUIPMENT, 30g AGA, 130w CF, Aquafuge PS/2 (skimmer/fuge), AC 50 (carbon, sponge) Jager 150, Koralia 1, Sweeping PH 450 gph.

How do i make paragraph breaks? hehe.

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Brian, glad you found us and welcome to GIRS! You should post your questions in the General (Hobby related) forum so that more eyes will see them.

It sounds like you have hair algae and your snails are doing a good job of keeping it in check, it's a good thing.

Your second question, each tank is different and it sounds like you are feeding them enough. When looking at your fish, do they appear to be nice and healthy? If so, I think you're feeding them enough. Maybe you should also try some flakes or pellets instead of the Cyclop-eeze. I the Cyclop-eeze might be too small for your fish to eat. I use it to feed my corals but it doesn't seem like you have much of it, yeti.

I'm not sure what kind of sponge you have but most sponges do well in my tank when I leave them alone. I don't try to grow them but I do see some pop up here and there. If you are curious about keeping it, post pictures, ask questions and research it. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Glad you liked the LR & Zoa.

Algae is the biggest problem most of us face. Your inhabitants seem to be keeping ahead of it ok.

I feed every other day as I am fighting algea myself. My fish eat the frozen cyclopeeze ok.

Sponges seem to do better in darker areas if I am not mistaken.

Hit enter to start a new paragraph.

Let me know if you need anything else