1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Internet Coral Drama

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kgehrke, Jan 30, 2008.

1. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm taking the plunge once again and buy coral online. My first time did NOT go well. I ordered a decently sized order from zoanuts, with a large acan, some zoa's and an acan frag bag, and it all died! Not Zoanuts fault though. DHL was the one to blame this time. My order got stopped up for a day in Ohio when it was about 5 degrees out. The box came the next day and the water was cold. I acclimated them and put them in my tank, but they all melted overnight. HORRIBLE!!! Luckily zoanuts...who has been amazing about this... refunded me with store credit for the amount ordered. I'm only out shipping.
    I don't think there is any way to get DHL to refund my shipping cost is there? They have a guarantee, but I don't think it covers live shipping.
    I have a new order coming tomorrow from awesome aquatics, which I'm super excited about. I'm getting 3 acans. An orange crush, a Japanese acan, and a fire lord. I'll post some pictures when I get them. I will also be getting my second order from zoanuts soon. More acan hopefully!
    -Kevin

2. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    DHL sucks.
    I thought that japanese acans were illegal to import. I could be wrong on that point.

3. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Check to see if DHL offers a refund for delayed orders. FedEx will not cover the price of the live coral, but they will refund your shipping if the package is late.

4. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure about the Japanese acan. I'm buying it from a guy who aquacultured it. So maybe the mother colony is old. It might not be a japanese acan either. Maybe he just ID'd it wrong or something. Who knows.
    I'll definetly check into getting my money back for the late delivery though. Thanks for the info Travis.

5. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Look what I got!!

[​IMG]

The Fire lord is small and needs some TLC, but they look amazing! They all ate very well too. I can't wait to see how they grow.
    I have an order coming in tomorrow morning too, from Zoanuts!

6. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got my Zoanuts order in this morning! Shipping worked out well. I'll post pics later once photobucket works. The acans from them are seriously amazing. Big too.

7. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Good stuff!

8. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here are the Zoanuts pieces.

Green Fusion
    [​IMG]

Pure Red
    [​IMG]

Red and Blue
    [​IMG]

9. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very nice little colonies!  You must be very happy! 

10. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    very nice pieces!!!

11. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My girlfriend gets mad because I stare at them so much, and give them possibly more attention than her. lol, she'll get used to it... lets hope... The acans from zoanuts eat SOO much. I'm really hoping they will grow at a decent rate. I'm having trouble keeping my calcium up right now because I got a bad batch of stupid Reef Crystals. I have to send in a sample (lame). I'm dosing b-ionic like its my part-time job and constantly checking my calcium levels, which have been consistently too low.

12. gm333

gm333 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Those are some nice pieces, I was glad to see some members here that have given Dustin at Zoanuts a chance. He is a good guy and is very reasonable on prices. Not to mention he has some pieces that will blow your socks off. I have been a good friend of his for a couple of years now. I am fortunate enough to get a look at his stuff before it hits the website. I have seen more exotic pieces go through him than any other online store that does not sell farmed frags. I personally have bought some nice pieces from him.

The good news is he has changed shipping again since DSL has been doing a poor job of keeping his precious livestock alive. Plus with warmer weather on the way shipping will be great the next couple of months before getting too hot.

13. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Those are some fine pieces /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif