1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Interest in frozen blackworms??

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by hart, Feb 4, 2015.

1. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0

On RC lots of people swear by blackworms. I would like to try some, but you need to order quite a few. I am looking at frozen, flash freezing is pretty good with preserving nutritional value, in some cases it can even be better then fresh if the food has been sitting a while. Anyway here is one of PaulB rants about them:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2467921&highlight=blackworms

And here is the store:

http://www.aquaticfoods.com/FrozenBlackwormsM.html

20 packs for $139. Anyone interested is splitting some?

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I love black worms, but they work much better alive.

You can get them from California black worm. I just kept them in a tank with an overflow, and ran my RODI waste water through them to keep them fresh and cool

3. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    +1 Nightcrawlers work also, just make sure they are free of grass and dirt! lol

4. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Neat trick with the RO line. I still prefer them to be frozen though. No waste, convenient, and freezing reduces risk of parasite/bacterial infection - but if I had picky eaters I would try live. My fish all eat fine and figured give them a bump in nutrition so I just wanted to see if anyone wanted in on frozen. Doesn't look like much interest so will probably just get blackworn flakes from them.

5. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I would be interested in going in with you

6. jazzybio13 MBI Breeder

Ames
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love using black worms and I agree that live is better, but can totally understand the convenience of frozen. In fact I have some in my freezer now. Actually I have black worms, rotifers, and mysis shrimp in the freezer, LOTS lol.... I buy in bulk for my DIY feed. But I don't purchase there, that seems crazy expensive to me.

I order from brine shrimp direct and have had good interactions with them on multiple accounts. Just my 2 cents. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/wink.gif Plus we get a discount if you use the code.
    http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/Frozen-Foods-c5.html

"Discount Details - 5% off on any order - use discount code 05114 - 7.5% discount on group buys exceeding $250 before shipping (except brine shrimp eggs which remain at 5% off) - When doing a group buy, the order must be done by phone or e-mail (see information on their site). Please notify them of the number of people participating in the group buy so that free samples can be included for all participants. "
    http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/Forums/tabid/78/aft/18645/Default.aspx

Not trying to trump your link- just think ya might want to know. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
  7. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I don't see frozen blackworms there. I am open to any source, but have not found any others for frozen ones. 140 shipped for 20 packs is $7 a pack. I just don't need that many but that doesn't seem that expensive per pack.

8. jazzybio13 MBI Breeder

Ames
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Your totally right! my last order from them was for my freshies and had blood worms, not black worms.... Mmmm. I know I've gotten black worms in cube trays before, but it's been a while.... Gotta think Where did I get those black worm trays...lol.. It might of actually been from Cali blackworm co.... Would have to go check my invoice. Lol I do believe it was via eBay though. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

9. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I would be interested in a couple packs if you do order.

10. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I will probably order some either tomorrow or early next week if anyone else wants in.

11. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Placed an order, I will update when I hear more about it. All the cool kids are getting frozen blackworms!

12. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Dave reminded me about these. I got them in and they have been in my freezer, I thought I updated the thread, but I guess not! PM if you want some.