1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Input on large restaurantt aquarium.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jwess, Oct 18, 2009.

1. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I currently maintain a large restaurant display tank here in CF.    The tank is about 10' long, 3' tall, but only about 11" wide.  Its built in and curves around the wall behind the bar.  It currenty houses a bunch of chiclids.  Ive been asked to do something different and am thinking of saltwater.  Right now it has two 1 1/2" overflows on each end adn two 1" returns.  Its got about a 40 or 50 gallon sump in a closset behind and underneath the tank.  I also have a large dolphin return pump and only two VHO T12 driven on I think an icecap 660.  Im trying to put a bid together for additional equipment and livestock.  Right now at the very least it would need a RO/DI and a large skimmer.  Oh, sand and live rock would help.  My idea right now for rock would be to build pillars out of PVC and epoxy rock to them.  As I said before I only have about 11" to work with.  Right now I go in once a week and maintain the tank. 
    Any thoughts on making this into a fairly bare bones easy maintenance tank would be appreciated. 
    Josh

2. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh Im also thinking of trying to make this a local club build activity. 

Josh

3. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You could get some cool Tonga Branching rock. It wouldn't take up so much space and there's plenty of viewing area, while at the same time providing hiding places for some fish. I know you could do a little better aquascaping then in the pic, but here's some pics of what they look like:
    In a tank
    By itself
    When you buy the fish, think about what will be the most active and fun to watch fish to put in it. I think tangs, triggers, puffers, and lionfish are my favorite to watch. What bar/restaurant is this in?
    Also, if you need any help I'd be willing to stop by and lend a hand...

4. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its Ferrari's at the pipac center

Let me know when i need help and I will be there to help josh

5. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    iowa aquaria is having a swap on nov 22 if you want to sell the cichlids. I will take my syno angelicus back,

6. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    IMO, make this a fish only tank with just a few pieces of rock for fish to hide, I think the pillers would be okay, but make sure you plan it out so there are places to hide. It don't haft to be very fancy since the customers won't be looking at the aquascaping. I would go with more Angles, Butterflys, Tangs, the tend to do alot of swimming back and forth. You should throw a couple Clowns in there cause most non hobbies recognize "Nemo" Adam Lionfish are beautiful and fun to watch. But 90% of the time they hide behind rock or something waiting for the next feeding. Remember the more fish you put in the more need to have a good skimmer.
    Should get us some pic of the tank now, might help if we can see what your working with.

7. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Agree with Troy, I would go with fish only and maybe some rock for the fish to hide. If you're willing to change the filters often enough, I think a large canister filter would be sufficient for a fish only tank. Maybe get some tangs and butterflys for fish... I don't think they would mind the narrow tank with it being 10 ft long. I think the biggest expense is going to be the livestock.

8. tgauger

tgauger Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oh i know the tank you are talking about. I told Joel (the manager there at ferraris) to turn that into saltwater tank a long time ago. Josh, let me know if you ever want or need any help over there. I would be more than happy to lend a hand

Trent

9. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im thinking the biggest job will be to take the whole thing down and clean it out. Its acrylic so there are some scratches. Id like to try and buff them out. Right now my biggest concern is just keeping it clean as it is in a puplic display in a fancy restaurant. Im thinking lots of chromis, damsels and a few tangs and other ornamental fish.
    Josh

10. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I would put in a dozen RBTA & about 20 clowns. Then throw in some tangs to help keep the algae down. Have a some gobies to stir the sand.

Let me know & I will donate the RBTA's

11. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Clowns and anemones would be cool but I dont know if I have enough light for them. I would have to build the rock work way up to reach the light.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    FOWLR (sparse LR with maybe some shrooms and zoas in their to compete for rock space with the algae) Tangs, angels, maybe some anthias, or a nice school of chromis. Definitly try to use fish that will utilize the length of that tank!

13. JFell

JFell Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have sand and rock, enough for that tank and it is priced resonably.  Why not do a blue spot sting ray or a small shark or lionfish. These fish are hardier, they will take the lower light, poorer water quality, eat once or twice a week and are bigger and identifabe by most all people.  Why go for the norm give them somthing they haven't seen.

14. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I personally think that a school of chromis and some tangs would be very showy. If this is going to be mainly fish only, get some color in there!!

15. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Most fancy restaurant tanks I've seen in large cities feature large colorful fish that tend to be out in the open slowly swimming back and forth. I think of large angels, tangs, triggers, wrasses, butterflies, etc.