1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

In need of live rock

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by saltwaternewbee, Jul 3, 2008.

1. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We went and bought a 75 and have started set up. I was talking to a member and was told to get about 50lbs of live rock to start with. Any one out there that can help?    

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Are you located anywhere near Cedar Rapids? If so, I have some live rock rubble I could give you but it would need to be cured.
    BTW, you should probably figure on having at least 1 lb per gallon (2 is better).
    -JB

3. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i live on the SW side near westdale mall...

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok, if you are interested in the (formerly) live rock rubble, I would sell it for $1 a pound. But again, it's dry right now so it will need to be cured for a least a month before it would be usable. It's also not anything near "showcase" material and would probably be better suited to a refugium.

You might have to be patient, but eventually someone locally will have some nice pieces for sale. The other thing you could consider is buying a few nice pieces from stores or other local reefers and then buying some dry/base rock online. It's a lot cheaper then cured live rock and it will be just as good in the end as long as you have other live rock/sand to seed it.

-JB

5. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ive got 100+ pounds of live sand pick up 4 free. 515 208-2851 dave DSM Ia

6. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just bought 160 lbs on ebay from this guy (Click for Listing)
    It's awesome rock.  160 lbs was just under $450.  It comes out to about $3.50 shipped (that's $5 per lb less than anything I've found in Iowa).  Nitrogen spike lasts about 3 days.