1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

IMPORTANT Venue change for Spring Fest this weekend

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Apr 2, 2013.

1. cman5

cman5

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good! Thought I'd ask before I put an order in. Cool shirts!

2. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Thanks cman5. I tried to put together things so everyone could find something that appealed to them. Do check the cafepress main site before making your order. I think they have coupon codes for shipping etc. on there. I have not used any codes before so I don't know if they apply to our site. Enjoy the swag!

3. Zoafreak

Zoafreak Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I posted the venue change on newagereef.com a local forum for me. Just figured I would try to help spread the word! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

4. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0

Thanks for your help. We appreciate it!

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Darn it, I saw the banner ads for the shirts, I wish I had seen that sooner. Oh well I guess I have something like 20 old MACNA shirts so I can still be "that guy". Who else will be a "Green Shirt" nerd?

Really looking forward to this Spring Fest! Remember, there are plenty of volunteers still needed to help during the event!

http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/Forums/tabid/78/aft/30298/Default.aspx

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  6. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ANYBODY who can lend a hand to get the word out please do so! Thank you!

7. softieatheart

softieatheart Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Shared on Peoria Area Reef Club, Springfield Illinois Reef and Saltwater Fanatics, and West Central Illinois Reefers Facebook pages.

8. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0

Awesome. Thank you very much.

9. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Funny thing about this... For once, there will actually be something at the IA State fairgrounds that I find entertaining! Made me think though, since a lot of animal lovers compete with their cows, pigs, goats, chickens, you name it.. Wonder if there has ever been anything for aquariums!? Maybe we should create entries for who can grow the largest corals, I would show off that ribbon with pride!

10. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a colony that would give everybody a run for their money!

11. daalbers

daalbers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0

I don't think there has been for a long time but they used to do it with fresh water fish there is a very large aquariums under they stadium all the way to the west end

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    They still do that. There used to be a big freshwater aquarium building where the petting zoo area is now, it used to be maintained by local aquarists, dozens of tanks, everyone would get together every week to do maintenance. Troy was telling me about that one day on a back breaking tank tear down day road trip

13. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

And then after displaying our fish we choose some to be prepared by Mildred, Agnes, Betty, and Bertha in a "Chopped" like competition for the bakery goods. "Ok ladies, you have 30 minutes to use your four mystery ingredients and create a dessert. Sea Cucumber, Mandarin Dragonet, Cherry Pie Filling, and Yams. Annnnnd begin!"

14. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    I've never even knew what the campus place until all this. How big is it?

15. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    It's actually one of Henry Ford's first automobile factories. So the lower levels are rigged up for heavy industrial type of stuff. There is a big gym where our daughter has soccer clinics in the winter, and there is an auto body shop with a paint booth and everything. Then there are I think 4 floors above that with various classroom spaces.

The Marine Biology department is gigantor. I can't think of any other word to describe it. They have a mezzanine level with I think half a dozen huge water tanks, some for RODI, a big mixing tank, and several SW storage tanks. Over 10,000 gallons of tanks, and I think over 15,000 gallons of capacity when you include the mezzanine. Maybe Chris can confirm those stats. But I think they can just crack valves and perform large PWCs in a few hours. IIRC, 20% PWC on the entire system in 4 hours.

16. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Central Campus Marine Biology Program is a fantastic program that started with just one 29 gallon aquarium in the Des Moines Public School System. It is designed for High School students and can come from almost any school district around Des Moines. There are Marine Biology programs at High Schools but none like this. This is the only Aquarium Science and Marine Biology program that I know of. It has since been moved to many different locations! At the peak tank amount, there where 78 aquariums.

In the state of the art room there are 118 tanks! There are more than 14,000 Gallons of Saltwater Tanks! The room is located on the third floor with an amazing water room on the 4th floor. We can hold about 3,000 gallons of mixed saltwater for water changes! We mix saltwater at 500 gallons a batch! We could mix 900 at a time but have found a great mix of bags to water ratio at 500 gallons. This allows the student to quickly mix and verify salinity. All water changes are gravity fed down to the 14,000 gallons. We can make about 2,000 gallons of RO each day so if we mix 2,000 gallons we will have another 2,000 the next day!

The students are currently breeding clownfish in the room and prorogating coral. The kids also have a mating pair of Epaulette Sharks and Jelly Fish they are breeding.

The high school students work very hard to make sure that the room is taken care of. They also do fundraising all year around to get equipment and livestock for the room. They also fund raise for their annual Florida trip.

I think this is an amazing program and a God send to GIRS and the community. Its getting students involved in our hobby and educating them. This program is the reason why I belong to the club.

17. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    So after you have breed the clowns what do you do with them? Also where do the coral go? How long has it been going?

18. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Central Campus is working close with multiple stores to get them distributed back into the trade. They are not for sale, but the stores help provide valuable resources needed in order to maintain the facility.

19. daalbers

daalbers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0

I wonder if we could set up a forum for them that they could post things on like photos,fund raisers,that would be just for central campus

20. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0

That's a great idea! I don't frequent the DsMs schools or FaceBook sites often so getting info about the students activities, fundraisers, etc would be nice! (They do have information posted on the Des Moines Public School website and a FaceBook page/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif)