1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

IMPORTANT Venue change for Spring Fest this weekend

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Troy C

Troy C

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thats Awesome

2. Shayna

Shayna Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    First, I will say I'm coming to this swap where ever it is!

But.... I'm so confused. This situation really has me puzzled. For a college to pull the rug out from under GIRS like this, it would have to be a rather influetial and credible letter with some real facts OR it came from a really big donor. In both cases, I cannot believe that it was anonymous. I also think, if it was someone who has a serious issue with the destruction the hobby has on the ocean (which is debatable) then this would be such a misguided thing to do, when the purpose is to allow us to swap frags grown here locally in our own tanks! I wouldn't think they would be supportive of an Aquarium Sciences program either if that was true a belief they held. I would love to know the facts. Really I think we deserve to know since their decision impacts us all. In the meantime, I'm going to stop speculating. I do however have to be honest and say it's very hard not to place any blame on the campus when facts are being withheld. If I know what this tough decision was in the letter, I might be able to understand the hard place they were put in that caused them to bow out gracefully less than a week before Frag Fest.

Regardless, I will be there and help make it successful!

3. Shayna

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok - I have to add one more thing about what a big loss I feel this college is missing out on. My teenage daughter, who has a real passion for science, is a straight A student and her Science Olympiad team just won the state competition and will be making a big trip to nationals next month. It's a huge accomplishment. No, I'm not here to brag about my kid. I'm here to say that some of us have kids that will be looking for colleges to apply to in the coming years, and what a pity she won't be able to see this. Fortunately some of her science competitions have been held at other college campuses, so she has been able to see what other colleges look like behind the scenes.

4. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    It is a high school

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Central Campus is not a college, it is the former Tech High School that now hosts a variety of AP classes as well as vocational / technical courses for the Des Moines Public School System.

As far as being puzzled as to why the rug got pulled out, what else would you expect to happen when there was ever a smidgen of a remote possible threat of gun violence.

A donor would be out of the question - they would only benefit from exposure.

Let's just put it this way. If you lived in the DSM area, and have been active in the club for any length of time (going to events, etc), you would know - without a doubt - who did this. I do. I have almost zero doubt, the second I heard about this.

6. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    What a messed up situation, sucks for the kids, glad its still going on somewhere.
    +100 on some doucebaggery on someone's part geez

7. Shayna

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A high school campus with an aquarium science program? Wow, that's awesome - we picked the wrong part of the state! I thought for sure it had to be a community college for that area. So this is truly a bunch of kids that had prepared for this big event to come - that's really sad.

Gun violence?? Hmmmmm I guess I'm starting to connect dots. If there is a really a actually a threat going on, enough so that this event was cancelled at this point, I would hope the police are involved.

I suppose enough debating it for now. It's not going to change anything.

We will succeed - I will be there - and I look forward to my new corals!

8. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Since this is the official (ahem) speculation thread, I want to toss some completely "out of left field" comment. I in no way have a lick of proof or reason to think that what I am about to say has anything to do with it. I am absolutely not suggesting that the maker or such comments is to blame at all, but it could be about a comment made here about guns that spooked the school. Most schools have a zero tolerance policy. We have had conversations about people that carry weapons, and I am not talking about a comment (made in jest) about shooting people at the next fest, just people talking about carrying guns. That would make somewhat plausible sense, but there are still ways to get around it with no-weapons signs, etc. Even then, it wouldn't prevent anything.
    Again, 125% pure speculative thought. Nothing to back it up.
    - Nick

9. Shayna

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep - those are the dots I was starting to connect. That would make sense. It's just all around sad, but I'm so happy frag fest is still on! I do believe that is the real win. And geez, at least use your name "anonymous letter writer person" if you want to stand up for what you apparently feel so strongly about.

10. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    in today's world you just can't dismiss any threat that might cause harm, even one that we assume was made in jest. The safety of the students comes first no matter what.

11. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0

And rest assured, nothing was ever dismissed by GIRS.

12. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Since we are just wildly speculating I will say my guess is we didn't talk enough about guns. After all the NRA wants everyone armed. At this point it's just as valid as any other speculation.

13. Shayna

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Let's not let this thread turn into another gun debate. I stayed away from those other threads on purpose.

14. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Please everyone lets try and keep this on the topic of SPREADING THE WORD ABOUT SPRING FEST. With everyone's help we can overcome this and make this the best event to date.
    When more details are known they will be released. We can save further speculation for another time and place.

15. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Hey everybody. I know there are a lot of questions you are all wanting answers for. I ask that we all please keep this as an INFORMATIVE thread for spreading the word about our new venue. Please leave the speculation and details to the BOD at this time. We really need to keep this thread on a positive track and need your help doing so. Trust us with the fact that we have taken ALL neccesary steps to make sure this event goes on without a hitch.

Frag on! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

16. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    What David said...lol

17. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    I agree, the main thing here is that Central Campus did what they had to do and now GIRS is going to hold Springfest at Paul R. Knapp Animal Learning Center at the
    Iowa State Fairgrounds. We can still do our best to support both by attending Springfest and attending the tour of Central Campus later this month and last but not least by remembering to donate and do what we can to help out the school and GIRS.

18. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I used to live in Pleasant Hill, which is pretty close to the fairgrounds. The facility that the Spring Fest is being held at is really nice.

Now, I know that there is food being sold, but in case someone is there all day and wants something either before or after they buy their food at the fest (since we all will be there through 2 meals, right?) here are some choices for people from out of the area.

For the truly "hot spot" place to go, head downtown. Go to Zombie Burger. Don't forget to get your burger "double-tapped" (two patties) if you are really hungry. NOTE: These burgers are very unique, very tasty, very messy, and I can say that they probably aren't very good for you. That is why they are so good. Don't worry, the decor is not like a haunted house or anything, just fun in a zombie sort of way.

There are a variety of fast food places right on University within a few minutes of the fairgrounds going west or east.

West you would see Burger King, McDonald's, Subway, Taco John's, Long John Silvers, A&W...
    East is Subway, McDonald's, and some restaurants like 5 & Diner (50's place), Okiboji Grill, Legands Bar & Grill, El Azteca Mexican, and Bella Italia.

Again, support the food sales at the fest of course first.

19. cman5

cman5

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Beating a dead horse here!!

On a new note

Will I be able to purchase GIRS shirts at the event?

20. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0

I do not believe so. The only way to purchase GIRS gear is through CafePress. We don't have an inventory on any of the items that I am aware of.