1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

IMPORTANT Venue change for Spring Fest this weekend

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Apr 2, 2013.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0

That's a nice idea. I will look into it.

2. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0

Thanks for stating that well Elliott. Let's all focus our energy on making this show a great success and not dwell on speculation as to who might have sent the letter - as that won't help us right now.

3. istate

istate

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have only been a member of GIRS for a year now and have only been to two events hosted by the club thus far. FYI, both events were AWESOME and well ran, well done!!! I don’t do drama well because I have no patience for it but I do have a couple of questions about this ridicules decision of CC. First, if GIRS paid a deposit for the use of CC and now can no longer use their facilities do to a decision by them, then why in God’s name are we not getting our deposit back??? Second, how can the higher ups at CC allow 1 (that’s right 1) letter to halt a whole event? And don’t say the school needs to protect itself…from what, 1 letter? Isn’t America (last I check I still lived in America) a Democracy.? I am very disappointed in CC for their poor decision to let 1 letter affect the majority. Way to stand up and do the right thing CC for 1 person. I just hope this doesn’t set precedence for CC and future events to be held there.
    To the person that did this…..I’m sure you are a smug person that thinks he’s awesome and cool. Guy, I don’t know who has lied to you all your pathetic life but you are the farthest thing from cool there is. Now listen to me carefully, if you were a man and not a little boy you would have written two letters. One for CC and one for GIRS board members explaining your stance. I would love to meet face to face to discuss your stance. PM me if interested. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/wink.gif

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    I'm really resisting getting back up on that soapbox right now. All I can say is this: think about it logically. Why would a school have to take such a drastic measure. Don't blame the school, whatever you do..

5. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Please do not blame the school for the decision they made. It was not one they made lightly and most of you do not know all the facts behind it. After we get through spring fest and we are able to filter through some of the mess more will be shared with you, but till then just be thankful the board is working very hard in order to make this thing happen rather then throw in the towel and cancel the show all together.

6. istate

istate

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Turbo, I get what you are saying…I do. However, to say the school has zero responsibility for this is simply not true IMO. CC agreed to take the clubs money to host an event that would help EVERYONE involved. Now they say GIRS cannot hold their event there and keep the deposit!! Really?

Mthomp, although I don’t share your sentiments that CC is 100% innocent in all of this, I would like to thank the board for NOT folding to pressure or political BS and continuing to hold this awesome event. Thank you!!!

7. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you dont know the facts, I do. They did what was best and the board agrees with their choice. I really wish we could share more with you all but at this time we just cant.

In the mean time I suggest using Turbos theory and think about it for a few minutes and draw your own conclusion.

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Also, I believe Andy may have misspoke on the deposit issue. As I understand it we are not losing the deposit nor where we ever going to.

Mike is right. More facts will likely be posted in the club business forum after the event takes place. I'd reserve judgement until you have a few more details.

I think Turbo's analysis is spot on. However, there are a few possible suspects. We'll probably never know who did it, but it doesn't matter because they really didn't succeed in anything other than making themselves look like a tool.

9. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    And it sounds like we will be getting our deposit back.

Again, once details come out, everyone will realize the school had little choice.

10. istate

istate

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The deposit was my main beef here. Glad to hear we are getting it back. Keep up the fantastic work GIRS board members. You guys/gals do a great job!!

11. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    I am sure that Central Campus in no way wanted to back out of their arrangement with GIRS. I imagine it was what they had to do and that they wish the circumstances were different. The best thing we all can do is to continue to support GIRS and Central Campus.

12. azn2nutty

azn2nutty Inactive User Vendor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

there's too much to do before the swap to think about what just happened, so i say, frag on people!

13. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's the battle cry FRAG ON!

14. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    IT IS OFFICIAL WE WILL BE GETTING A FULL REFUND FROM CENTRAL CAMPUS.

Also, they are having an open house at the end of April and we are all invited. More details will be handed out on Sat.

15. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Kirk from Central Campus has made a nice donation of 10 clown fish and a RBTA to be in a silent auction for Smouse!!!

16. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

I'm going to just go ahead and blame the gun posts for why they cancelled it. That's my wild conjecture.

17. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    If that is the case, it still would require someone to bring attention to the comments on those threads. Only someone with an agenda would view that as an opportunity. I think most everyone else (without an agenda) just viewed that as someone making a poorly thought out sarcastic remark. Add in a hyper-sensitive society and, well, you get what you get - opportunity for "douchebaggery"

18. ScubaMan

ScubaMan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well said "douchebaggery"

19. Tickyty

Tickyty Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Theres that word again. ROTFL

20. daalbers

daalbers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0
    YA that is what i,m thinking

Adam let me put sighs up on his counters about the change hopefully he didn't take them down after i left