1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

If you`re considering a DIY skimmer....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vikubz, Apr 23, 2009.

1. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I highly recommend it. Here is a shot of what I've gotten from 2 days. After 2 days I have to clean the neck due to the thick crud coating it. I built a 6 inch pvc skimmer with a rio 1700 for a pump with a mesh mod. The collection cup is just a 1 quart plastic jar I got at the dollar store. The riser tube is 2 inch pvc. The top of the jar is too far from the top of the riser tube, so I used a piece of pvc as an extender and a small plastic lid to help direct the flow of foam into the cup. This really helped with the amount of skimmate collected. Now I'm getting this nice, dark, smelly stuff. Mmm, mmmm good!
    [​IMG]

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's looks sweet. B-Rad also makes skimmers and other great quality stuff.

3. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sweet!! Got any pics of the entire thing? Shaun

4. ReefNinja GIRS Member

Cedar Falls, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I too would love to see more pics and diagrams or plans on how to build....  pretty please [​IMG]

5. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Nice I would like to see pics of the whole layout. I need a skimmer for for my new tank and it would be fun to try and build one of these.

6. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would also like to see some pics, maybe even as you assemble it if you made them? I have a skimmer but I thoroughly enjoy DIY stuff :)

7. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Here is the skimmer I based it on.

http://www.randystacye.com/diy_needle_wheel_skimmer.htm

I will get some pics this weekend. My version is sort of thrown together, but it works fine. I am thinking of making a 3 or 4 inch version to use on my 29 gallon.

8. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks pretty similar to my build. I designed mine after the ASM G4.

http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/Community/DiscussionForums/tabid/78/aff/4/aft/15657/afv/topic/afpgj/1/Default.aspx#15657

Pulls out about half of a collection cup full of black nast sulfur smelling crap a day :)

9. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Yep, very similar. I originally meant to do a recirculating skimmer, but couldn't get the venturi right. This uses the Rio 'rejuvenating' venturi, like the one on the bak pak. They make larger versions for their bigger pumps.