1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

ideas on setting up a basement sump????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snowman82, May 20, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would recommend planning your plumbing on paper...measure things out...determine what kind of joints you will have in the plumbing, how many valves etc and plug it into the Reef Central Heal Loss Calculator (http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php). It has most pumps in there. What I wish it would do was make a recommendation on what pumps to buy...but since it doesn't do that, you have to do a little research on your own.

--AJ

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Check out this for the head loss curve of various pumps http://www.reefs.org/library/pumps/pumps/ Also, this doc helped me out too http://www.reeflopumps.com/images/f...biased.xls I think for my purposes, a Dart is just the right size for me. It should give me enough power to have the various valves that I want to put on and still give me a little room to grow in case I want to add a frag tank or something later and drive it off the same pump. I also like the concept of throttling back the pump and how that reduces the power draw. These seem to be some of the more efficient pumps that I have read about. I will have 11 foot vertical and 8 1/2 foot horizontal between my pump and the top of the water level. I hope these help you.

You know, as I was typing this, I began to question my own assumptions. I assumed that when you were measuring for head loss, that you measured to the top of the water and not just to your bulkhead. Is this accurate? Should I just be measuring to the bulkhead instead? To me, it makes more sense to measure to the top of the water since that can vary from tank to tank, but I've not ever read one way or the other. Anyone know for sure?

--AJ

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  4. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dont have a bulkhead for my return tahts the only drawback really. right now i just have a DIY over the tank spraybar. so for my measurements i was measuring to the top of the tank. you should measure to where the water will be leaving the piping i would assume. I have thought about using one of my overflow bulkheads as a return but not sure if one 1.5" return would be enough on a 125?????

i have an 11ft vertical and 9.5 horizontal. I like the idea of adjusting the pump as well with a valve or something. I am thinking about the dolphin ones. joel seems to like them. i wish i could get a few and try them and and stuff haha but dont have the money for that kind of experiment. can the dophins be throttled back though??

5. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nevermind just looked up the dolphins and they are able to be reduced without hurting the pump so thats cool, cause i just sent some money for an ampmaster 3000 which seems to be a good choice for my situation cause it will give me a little room to flucuate incase i want a frag tank as well. I'm glad you put that in there about a frag tank i hadn't even thought about that.

where is the best place to get flexible pvc? and unions and such???