1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

ideas on actinic supplementation???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snowman82, Mar 29, 2009.

1. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i want to add actinics to my tank, running 3 250w hallides pendants.  its a 125 72" long tank.  just not sure how to go about it.

2. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I love my VHO actinics. They make all the corals glow very nicely. They make a 72" bulb for them and you can just get a retrofit ballast and put one bulb on each side of the halides or something.

3. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Didn't you say you were going to build a canopy for your tank? Retrofit them to the canopy.

-Bill

4. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no i wasn't going to do a full canopy was just going to build a front for it that will attach at the wall and my cupboards. my only thing that i worry about is blocking light from the halides and making a shadow

5. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    VHO would be the cheapest and looks the best, IMO. Also, they shouldn't block your halides if you mount it beside the reflector or just along the inside of the reflectors.

6. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well my pendants are round.....

7. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How much room do you have? Not sure how many people have actually seen your tank, but it might be easier to help if we had some pics or at least a better description of your setup. Just a thought /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

8. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]

9. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its 18inches deep and the lights are centered over the top and they are 10inches around

10. ScubaTodd

ScubaTodd Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im sort of having a problem similiar to that of yours. Have you came up with anything yet. One idea i have is to take a old single floursent light cover that spans the entire length of the take and rip all of the old out and replace with a new retro lot of T5. But again i dont want to block any sort of mh lighting and have dark shadows. I really dont have anything solid yet that will work out nicely.

11. ScubaTodd

ScubaTodd Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im sort of having a problem similiar to that of yours. Have you came up with anything yet. One idea i have is to take a old single floursent light cover that spans the entire length of the take and rip all of the old out and replace with a new retro lot of T5. But again i dont want to block any sort of mh lighting and have dark shadows. I really dont have anything solid yet that will work out nicely.

12. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Could run higher kelvin bulbs. Not sure what your running now, but if you switched to 20000K bulbs you'd have more blue coloring.

13. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i got 20ks on the ends and a 14 in the middle and can't tell a difference, i think maybe going with ushios or something maybe better. i have hamiltons now..and my coral is bleaching....