1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

ID

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted member 46, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just curious if anyone knew the type of acro this is.  I picked it up today at a little pet shop in central IL.  I thought it looked cool and had some potential when I saw it.  Looking at closer I found a little crab living on it.  I thought it was a damage to the coral before I saw it moving.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hard to say right now as it looks like it needs to color up, but I'd say maybe a type of tenuis.......just judging by the shape.  Maybe a tortuosa (tort?)
    tenuis

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking it might be a tort as well....hard to say at this point though.

4. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what do you think of the little crab? is it good or bad?

5. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hard to say on the id right now, I'd remove the crab though, typically if they are hairy they are bad in acros. I've had the blue eyed ones before and removed them

6. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Who knows maybe he eats red bugs... He doesn't look like he would eat much and I never liked to get rid of possible good acropora crabs.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think most acro crabs are beneficial. Give it some time to cause some destruction, then decide whether or not to remove it.

8. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    looks like it could be a tort. It also looks like there might be some kinda pests.. maybe it's the crab..but I see some whitespots.

9. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think the coral is probably either a granulosa, toruosa or a loripes then again it could be anything. The white spots where from the guy bagging it to tight and handling it like crap. I think some might of been from that crab too. It seems to be a xanthid crab. Cymo melanodactylus They actually eat the coral polyps which I saw him doing last night.

10. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If I saw him eating polyps, I would be getting rid of him.

11. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By RobynT on 04/16/2008 4:45 PM
    If I saw him eating polyps, I would be getting rid of him.[​IMG]Well I banished him to the basement tank to hopefully eat xenia. 

12. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bullet used to call his basement tank the "***** tank". Good to see that trend is catching on... /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

13. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This coral is coloring up a bit getting hints of purple and green.  I did find a couple more hitchikers on the right side of the main coral.  The one looks like a revers sunset.  The green one at the bottom right I have no idea on.

[​IMG]

14. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    That thing is looking like its got some nice potential

15. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    looks 100% better

16. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here is a new pic of it.  This is kind of off color due to only having 2 Blue pluss lamps on at the time of photo.  The coral has a green body and purple tips now.  The new growth is whitish with purple tips.  It also has a good shot of the one hitch hiker too.

[​IMG]